Leaking rivets.

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
schooner dave
Participant
Participant

Leaking rivets.

Post by schooner dave »

I recently purchased a 1999 Princecraft Superpro 176 Promenade....the boat was/is in excellent condition as is the outboard motor. In fact the outboard looks like it just came off the showroom floor. The boat does not show any signs that it was abused. I'm very happy with the purchase with the exception that the boat leaks....not severely but enough to bother me. After a good rain I've got under the boat in the driveway and can see where some rivets appear to be leaking.

When I'm on the water the bilge pump comes on approx. every hour and runs for about 10 seconds. Previous to this boat I had a 16 ft Smokercraft with a riveted hull and it never took on a drop of water.
I'm curious as to whether others with a similar boat have experienced the same problem.

I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed with this...I had always read and heard great things about Princecraft boats and this situation is a real letdown.

Recognizing the proper repair would be to have the affected rivets replaced which would entail a huge,huge job has any one used any of the many products out there for sealing rivets and leaks?

Thanks in advance.

Schooner
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Rivets are very easy to replace :) Count yourself lucky it's not a cracked weld :shock:
machz
Participant
Participant

princecraft

Post by machz »

i have sold princecraft boats for over 18 yrs and have never had one leak
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

Princecraft quality has suffered in recent years especially since the Brunswick takeover a friend had to rebuild the casting deck on a 2 year old $60 thousand dollar package( could have sent it back and lost a whole summer). One dealer told me they are not as good as they used to be on waranty. I think the quality of a lot of brands has gone downhill. This is why I am going to have my 25 year old boat redecked recarpeted and repowered. It dosent leak a drop and fishes well but I wouldn't even consider a new one by the same manufacturer.

Most rivet problems come from bouncing on the trailer rather than the water. Keep it tied down.
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Post by Wabler »

I have a very leaky Princecraft, and it's only 3 years old.

Pulled the boat out of the water once to see a steady stream coming from the bottom of the boat. The rivet was completely gone. Had that one replaced under warranty, but still takes on a lot of water.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

i have a 1992 Princecraft Pro 169 and the only time it leaks is if i pull the drain plug out and it rains
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
machz
Participant
Participant

Post by machz »

if you have a leaky princecraft take it back to your dealer in the fall they will send it away for warranty but as i said before have been selling them for a long time and have only ever sent three boats back and not for leaky rivets and we sell alot of prince craft
ProBass170
Participant
Participant

Re: Leaking rivets.

Post by ProBass170 »

I got a xpedition 170 2013 and send it back taking water like crazy. 3 main rivet failed now I'm waiting to get my boat back.
How long should it take to fix it. :roll:
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Leaking rivets.

Post by Daboss »

I had leaking rivets on an older tinny and I fixed them myself by having a helper press a heavy hammer, (5lb), on the inside rivet head while I hit the outside of the rivet with a smaller hammer, (1lb). This tightened up all my leaking rivets and they have not re-leaked for three seasons. Just make sure you and your helper are on the same rivet. :D
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!