Side Sonar?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Side Sonar?

Post by Hookup »

Anyone have any first-hand experience with a side-scanning unit? How do you find the images when fishing in 10-20feet of water?

I would assume for clear-lakes with rocky bottoms the images could get quite good, but what about muddy bottom, or loads of weeds? are you just seeing garbled info?
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

I can see this thread getting very expensive for you.

Hopefully Sheldon (eyetracker) can answer your questions about Lowrance side scan units.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Hell yeah, this is going to get expensive!!!

But I've been looking and reading on sonars (as per my other thread) and came across this side-imaging concept...

I'm not looking to see fish in the image, but finding structure, like rocks in weed-beds, or bigger rock-piles on the bottom, etc... would be a handy feature for sure...

The down-side is the units seem to be $1200 and upwards... It's nice they come with gps built-in, so you can tag stuff you drive-by and go back later...

Honestly, from what ive seen, which is mostly marketing, but one good video on youtube, the technology sounds/looks amazing....

I've got sugar-plumb images in my head of boating along Canadian-shield lakes, right along the cliff-walls and seeing what the cliff looks like for overhanging ledges, cuts, etc that could easily hold smallies... Or looking under docks and boats at the bottom structure to find out what the fish are actually holding to...

G-DAMN, tell my wife it cost $20... ok? :D :D
Geos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Geos »

Last edited by Geos on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I both sell them and have one on my boat. The only problem I have with mine is I don't use it enough. The side imaging is mounted on the console, and I'm generally rammy to get up front and fish. The obvious stuff is real easy to read, ie rock piles. It takes a little longer to learn to read the most subtle stuff, such as changes in bottom composition. One notable example I found is a roadbed in 23' of water in the St Lawrence. I was following the road with my side imaging unit when I noticed posts still standing along the road. they stood out like crazy. If you want to come out to the store, I have demo units plugged in so you can see how it works.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Thanks Ed. I will make the trip!
1MoreCast
Participant
Participant

Post by 1MoreCast »

I have a SI unit, I will see if I have any picures that may be around that depth.
acuteangler
Participant
Participant

SI Units

Post by acuteangler »

I have an SI Unit and yes it was expensive but once you get used to reading the images it is fantastic. What I did during the winter I hooked my unit up to an extra battery and used the unit in simulation mode. I also scanned the internet fot "SI" and found many sites that offer help with actually understanding what you are seeing. This can only be done with practice. Good luck
AA