Bow ff install

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Nacho
Participant
Participant

Bow ff install

Post by Nacho »

Just looking for some advice on installing a fishfinder on the bow casting deck.

Can I tap off the wiring for the trolling motor and save myself alot of wire pulling?

I'm concerned that the motor may put out alot of electrical noise and cause problems. Install guide says put in a 1A inline fuse and I'm golden, but I want to 2x check with the knowlegdable folks here.

Motor has a dedicated deep cycle, so I have no concerns on my amp/hours.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

I don't know if this is the correct way but what I did was splice into the courtsey light circuit and put in a rocker and fuse for the sonar. As I never use the light I felt it was a redunant circuit. I believe if you tie into your deep cycle you may get interference if your troller is digital or is of the momentary type.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I don't know if you have looked yet or not but on many boats there is a extra wire run to the bow just for this reason. I know my old Lowe had it and I have seen a few others too. It may be just inside the front plate or sometimes it is tucked back where the wires for the light is. Take a look and it may save you some trouble.
Nacho
Participant
Participant

Post by Nacho »

And if I combine both suggestions and just tap off the Nav light (if I have to ) solves the noise problem either way. Of course! Thanks folks...
lowerunit
Participant
Participant

Post by lowerunit »

Run wires directly to the starting battery with an in line fuse close to the battery is the way to go. Less chance of interference and cost is minimal.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

wiring

Post by Graembo »

lowerunit wrote:Run wires directly to the starting battery with an in line fuse close to the battery is the way to go. Less chance of interference and cost is minimal.
Just like the manual says.

Dont tap off any other wire, who knows what fuses is already has or doesn;'t have.

Do it right, do it once. Straight to the cranking batt. ((Put the inline fuse close to the cranking battery connection.))

Hint: use one of the rubber capped fuse holders instead of the manufacturer-supplied rust-collector/headache-causer:

G