12/24 Volts to 36 volts

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
(Big Bass Daddy)
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

12/24 Volts to 36 volts

Post by (Big Bass Daddy) »

Ok, here goes; I have come to realize that if I want the pound thrust trolling motor that I really want I’ll need to change my current 12/24 volt system to accommodate a 36 volt trolling motor.

Right now I have a 30 lbs thrust Motor Guide that I want to get rid of and it’s a 12/24 volt unit. I want a more powerful unit and it looks like there all 36 volts units for the range of lbs thrust power that I'm interested in.

The question is “how can I make this happen? Do I need to change the wiring in my boat? OR simply change the connector at the bow of the boat or both? and so on.

I haven't a clue? if anyone can give me some advice on this or a web link that would be great.

:?

BBD
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

How big you going.
You can get 55lb 12V
Then 65-80 lb 24V
101lb is only 36V motor in Minn Kotta land any way.
If you have an older boat chances are your wiring is not enough no matter what you buy.
I just bought 70# 24V for 19 footer and
it was pre wire for a 12V system at about 40A has #10 or 8 by looks of it.
The 70lb says 50Amp #6 wire so I'm rewirin.
The install instuctions will tell you wire size and circuit breaker size
good luck!
MORE POWER
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

I forogt here is a good link for choosing trolling motor
http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/crawf ... otor.shtml
(Big Bass Daddy)
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by (Big Bass Daddy) »

Thanks XRED. I have a 1993 Procraft Bass boat and that trolling motor came with the boat when I purchased it brand new back then. I've always found the motor to be way too low in pound thrust for my boat but now I've decided to go for a motor that's around 60lbs or higher. I noticed one for sale on another fishing web site and I'm waiting for a reply on the voltage, but I have a feeling its going to be a 36 volt system.

Thanks for your help.

BBD
:D
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

You should be good to go with a 70 or 80 lb minn kota 24 volt motor and you won't require the third battery unless you're procraft is 20 ft or more, then you may want to consider a 101.