Water in oil!!!

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Brit
Participant
Participant

Water in oil!!!

Post by Brit »

Changed the gear oil in my 40hp Merc yesterday as I was getting the boat ready for a trip to Quebec waters and found water in it...damn.

Had changed it in the fall prior to winterising and it was OK then.

So I am presuming that it is the seals that have gone allowing water to get in...as far as I am aware there are no cracks in the lower unit.

Can anyone tell me if the job is something,someone like myself who is sort of OK with mechanics can perform :?:

Have checked with local marinas and there is no way they can get this job done by June 4th which is when I am heading off to Quebec.

If the job is one that a pro has to do..can someone tell me if I will cause great damage if I continue using the unit for the Quebec trip :?:

It would be my intention while up there to change the oil every couple of days just to get rid of the water.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Rob
MicPik
Participant
Participant

water in oil

Post by MicPik »

Hey Brit,

One thing to check is the gaskets on the oil fill screws. I had water in my lower leg, and thought that the seals were gone, but found out that there wasn't a gasket on the fill screw.

Hope this helps!