Helpful tips for keeping a boat

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Helpful tips for keeping a boat

Post by tinbanger »

Lots of creative types out there I know.
With new boat a few weeks away I was wondering how evryone keeps there hard earned possesion in thier possession.
Coupler lock , chain , wheel removal are the obvious I guess .Plus keep ing all valuables locked up , electronics removed .
What about bow mount trolling motors .The Minn Kota has a quick release bracket so I guess I should take it off when not in use .Is there any aftemarket locking device for the Minn Kota .Thinking overnight docking , camp sites etc .
dskrizzy
Participant
Participant

Post by dskrizzy »

Thanks for bringing this up Tin'! My situation is similar...

When you picking yours up? You must be excited. I cant wait for for my pick up as well my man!

Im interested to know how everyone keep's their boat secure from theft etc... I have been so into the rigging of the boat that I have neglected to think about how to keep it secure at the house? What kind of "lock" does one use for a boat and trailer? Briefly read about wheel removal, but thats about it :?:

Almost time for pickup!

take care,
Dennis
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Boat should arrive early april ..can't wait is an understatement !
kegman75
Participant
Participant

Post by kegman75 »

At my old place I usually took my electronics inside and make sure all my side storage is locked riggers go into the garage (wich didnt lock), also kept hitch locked at all times even when towing. I also always kept the cover on it. I had a pretty long drive way single file (apx 4 car) so if some one wanted anything from boat they wouldve had too walk along whole side of my house almost into back yard. Nothing ever got taken but i suppose this was the securiest method, Now i have a two car garage and will put it in diagonall and shut the door. but locks only keep out honest people so onlly leave stuff in your boat that you wouldnt really miss. If someone wants it bad enough they will take it. :cry:
As the cops will tell you outa site outa mind
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I just picked up my "retirement boat", a 2005 1600 Lund and the first thing I did was buy a wheel lock at G&G Lalonde. Had a friend get his boat stolen from his laneway last year. He had the hitch locked but that didn't seem to matter so I thought the wheel lock, being a heavier gauge steel, might be more of a deterrent. With it on, the boat is not going anywhere and they would really have to work at removing it so at least the casual drive by thief may be deterred. As we are all aware, if a friggin crook really wants something, they're going to get it. Too many efficient battery operated power tools to make the job easier.
I would imagine you could adapt those super strong motorcycle locking cables. They're supposed to be almost impossible to cut. May cost a few bucks but consider what you just spent on the boat. People trust their precious Harleys with them.
I'd also be interested in securing the bow mount. Hope someone has a few suggestions there.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I use something like this for the trailer when unattended.
Although, realistically, I don't use it often around home. Knock on wood, nothing has walked away yet. But I'm sure my time is coming.

MT
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Thieves will load the boats up on a flatbed tow truck...if they want to steel it they will. Best advice is get good insurance and do your best to keep things hidden. Out of sight, out of mind.

Most insurance policies do not cover expensive fishing equipment that is not bolted to the boat or listed on the insurance policy. Make sure your electronics, trolling motor, down-riggers etc. are covered under your home policy if you remove them to store in a shed or basement. I had to get special coverage to cover $8K+ of crank-baits...no home policy would touch it. Heck add in your electronics, rods etc. and you can see how this stuff is expensive to replace.

Be safe and lets hope most of us never have to make a claim for theft.

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Good to have inventory and pics of everything and receipts as well in case the worst happens.

Main thing is to add deterrents to theft. That can be locks, removing loose items, blocking in with a vehicle, have tongue face house, well lit area, etc....
franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

My .02

Post by franklauzon »

Personally the best trick I've found to not have my boat stolen has been to have a boat no one would want!!

150$ Boat, Homemader trailer = Anti-Theft Device! lol
FishinJim
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinJim »

My Minnkota Powerdrive has a hole on the foot of the motor. It lines up with a hole in the quick release bracket when installed. I put a pad lock on it when I don't want to be taking the motor on and off.
Jim
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Fishinjim
I thought there must be an allowance for locking the Minn Kota.
Thanks for the reply
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

FishinJim Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Minnkota Powerdrive has a hole on the foot of the motor. It lines up with a hole in the quick release bracket when installed. I put a pad lock on it when I don't want to be taking the motor on and off.
Jim
My boss did the same thing and they still stole it overnight.

My brother in law had the best coupling padlock on the market and the used a schissel to break it :?: :?: it was found split in two pieces :evil: The boat was in the backyard ...

The neibours saw two guys comming and leaving with a boat :roll: they thought he was selling the boat :?: and those guys were picking it up.

A litle neigbourhood watch might pay up
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Congradulations on a new ride tinbanger. I follow one policy with mine - when at home - remove everthing moveable ( electronics, downgiggers, trolling motor etc.) and lock eveythingelse (wheel nuts on both motors, all wheels including spare, and two locks on trailer hitch. When I'm travelling I use bicycle cables locks on down riggers and my Minnkota also has a quick release that allows a pad lock. All you can really do is make it as difficult as possible for anyone with evil on their minds.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

My boat is chained around the axel to the base of the fence as well ate the Coupler lock :roll: .Trolling motor is left on as I don't have a quick release.As Eye tracked mentioned it's good to keep things out of sight.My boat, trolling motor ,the works when finished with are covered with a blue tarp.

This won't stop the thieves but it meets my insurance requirements.

Ron
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

A bit drastic, but I built a garage 16x24 cost me around 5k to build. Keeps the boat out of the weather. I bring the electronics into the house during the winter. If you are concerned about leaving the boat outside, then as said, thieves will get it if they want it so locks are just a deterent not a prevention. Your best bet would be to fit an alarm to the boat somehow, there must be some on the market somewhere. At least then you are alerted when someone attacks your baby. Combine this with a motion sensor light facing the boat and hopefully you can stop them.

My concern has never been for the "at home" theft, but when I go away to a resort or cottage I do worry about the boat left in the water overnight or on day trips away....