Boat Names

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Boat Names

Post by fishforfun »

I've noticed not many of you name your boats, I know we have Skooter and the red rocket maybe more. It can be very helpful at times, especially on the great lakes when using VHF. Hailing" the white boat that just entered such and such channel be careful there are 2 nets on your starboard side", just doesn't cut it for me because I can't hail him by name. Curious is it because you never thought about it, or you just don't want to name your boat? MT's 20' I would name "SMOKING", past history remembered :wink: The decals are pretty cheap to buy at a sign shop, so would you name her or not?
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I enjoy naming my boats....

The Canoe is "The Red Rocket" and for those who have had the pleasure of spending soem time aboard her they understand where the name came from.

My Princecraft is called "The Other Woman" for several reasons but mostly because I knew my wife was going to get pee pee at me for all of the time I spend with her.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Misses Livewell wants to name the 20' boat Marylin because on a breezy day, she saw the wind blow up the tarp like Marylin Monroe's famous pics.

It think that's gay. :x 8) Need a cool name for it. Maybe once she's floatin I'll get you guys to help me out. Till then, Marylin, keep your skirt down and your legs crossed, don't need spray all over ya. :wink:

M.T. Livewell
JIGNPIG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JIGNPIG »

I was going to name my boat after one of my favorite sayings

FOR $%#* SAKES

Maybe Someday

Bryan
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

What if your boat already had a name?

My next new boat will be THE SWAMP DONKEY! :twisted:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

What are the superstitions regarding boat names?

Is it bad luck to re-name a boat?

Is it bad luck not to name a boat?
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Bassstalker changing a boats name will jinx it. When I bought my sail boat she was named Felicity. After 3 years, 2 on board fires and some other calamities we attributed to part of the learning curve, the original owner showed up, he was visiting friends in Wiarton. The next week she was named the Blue Mist her original name, end of story. Any problems I have now are caused by age or lack of preventative maintenance. A millionairess in Britain bought a 1940's americas cup yacht from a shipyard in the 90's, she wanted it rebuilt and renamed. Renaming the yacht was her biggest problem as no one would crew it if it wasn't done properly! Took her 2 years but she got it done, sailors are very superticuos sp :wink:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Markus think I answered your first question. As for a boat with no name, my grandfather, a ship builder told me a boat without a name is a boat with no soul. I feel you need to know your boat before you name it, lets you decide on something that suits.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Thanks FFF.

That's why I'll buy new :wink:
Last edited by BASSSTALKER on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Hmmmmmm.

I still haven't named my boat. I refer to it as "the striper", but that's no name.

I talk to her a lot and I know the boat has soul.

I was thinking about naming it after a girl I dated in college...I abused her regularly and she loved every minute of it and just like my boat, she required a quick trip to the medic every now and then to keep things perculatting for the next adventure.

Course, PL would kill me. :lol:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Markus :lol: :lol: No comment.
The Striper is a true warrior suffered more from Mother nature than you could throw at her, requires a stronger name or at least not feminine :wink:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Markus wrote: I was thinking about naming it after a girl I dated in college...I abused her regularly and she loved every minute of it and just like my boat, she required a quick trip to the medic every now and then to keep things perculatting for the next adventure.
I think I know her! :lol: :wink:

MT
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Name

Post by Jimmy »

My boat was to be called Jimmy's Dream... after waitng many years to get her. But after careful considertion... looks like we will call her "Emma's Dilema" My wife's nickname is Emma and I can't seem to stop talking about the the boat and/or fishing.. Luv my wife...and my boat!
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

Call my boat Bass N Thru all though lately shes been letting me down.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

My wife has called all my boats "The other woman" because I spend more time with my boats than I do with her hehehe!! I named my Ranger "The R.A.T." after my 3 sons Ryan, Alexander & Tyler.
;-)