Minn Kota I Pilot

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Minn Kota I Pilot

Post by MLR »

Looking at upgrading my bow mount to the new Minn Kota I Pilot

Has anyone read any articles or reviews on these new units yet?
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Yup
Looks like the cats meow.....
I am looking as well, if I could even find a used V2 or Terrova I would wait a bit and buy just the iPilot module.
Been doing some reading any PD V2 will accept the upgrade, takes about 20 minutes and any Terrova, which takes about 4 minutes.
I read about a tester who was having issues with it and Minn Kota sent him 3 or 4 updates for it and it turned out that he had his 24v system wired wrong/incorrectly. After that issue was resolved he loved it.
SixStringHack
Participant
Participant

Post by SixStringHack »

Needs radar for collision avoidance...
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Lawrence

Thanks for the informative feed back.

Also congrats on the write up in Outdoor Canada this month. Keep up the great work you do.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Personally I cannot wait to get rid of my digital-steer minnkota PowerDrive bow-mount. I hate the digital steering system and would never recommend one. I-Pilot looks cool for sure, but I'd not be willing to have to use digital foot-controller/steering.

Why? With a cable system the foot-pad has a neutral-mark. A mid-point where the trolling motor is tracking straight forward. Tip one way and you go left, tip the other you go right... return your foot to that neutral point and you know you are going straight forward. This piece of "feedback" is what is required to steer the boat while casting without having to look down at the trolling motor to see which damn way it's now pointing every time you want to adjust.

This sounds like a small thing, but for me, this is huge. So much that as soon as the boat is out of storage a new cable-driven unit is going onto the boat and my 'dealer installed' Power Drive 2 is going on the classifieds.

i-Pilot systems would have this limitation/issue, and therefore I'd stay away.

Just my experience... your own millage may vary.
Fish'n Technish'n
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'n Technish'n »

Been doing lots of research on this one.
Still thinking about it!
Here are some sites to check out

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/2010seminars.html
Click on I Pilot index

Aslo check out www.crappie.com and type I Pilot into the search feature!!

You can also down load the manual on line.

FT
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

well, I ordered one today, just have to wait for the FedEx man to show up.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Good for you! :D
let us know how you like it
Matt Bass
Participant
Participant

Post by Matt Bass »

I also ordered one from Paddletales. I hope that the back order status will be soon removed, I already sold the other one I had. Will let you know how it work when I will try it.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Well, finally got to test drive the new I-Pilot

It only took me 30 seconds to master the remote "because I am a man"

With the bow pointed up stream, 2 pushes of the anchor button, and the boat held its position as it should. Turned it off and drifted down stream about 150 meters, hit the anchor memory button and away she went right back to where I started.

Next I will play with recording tracks, but am confident that it will work flawlessly.

My only small gripe, is that the display on the remote control has the black blotches while wearing polarized sun glasses. Not sure what Minn Kota was thinking, since the majority of people fishing wear polarized glasses. Hope they come out with a new remote that is polarized sun glass friendly soon.

Other than that, I love my new trolling motor.
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

Does this unit come in 12 volt Lebarons catalog does not state voltage?

when my auto pilot died I didn't replace with another autopilot I really miss it. When fishing muskie alone you can just head offshore while you deal with releasing fish and not deal with wind.
1MoreCast
Participant
Participant

Post by 1MoreCast »

From the minn kota website
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/ ... ivev2.aspx

It looks like all the 55lb ones are 12 volt, including the iPilot.
So the one at lebarons is 12 volt.

I picked up a 24 volt PowerDrive with iPilot early in the spring when they came out at Laurentian Marine for a better price then any other dealer around. Try calling them to find out if they have it, ya never know.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

After spending the weekend fishing with someone who has an ipilot i have to give a second point of view. ;)

The ability to troll with the iPilot, using the remote, was excellent. This worked very well for trolling techniques. For casting techniques, and Jigging I'm still in favor of a cable-driven system, but, for pure trolling I think the iPilot has the advantage.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Hookup: The rule of thumb I have observed in the store is that bass guys (like me) prefer the cable steer, Walleye guys like the digital steering. Of course there are exceptions, but that is what I have generally found.

Early reports back to me from customers that have bought the I Pilot have been outstanding, including one that says the anchor feature helped him finish second in a walleye tournament on the American side.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken