Imaging: Lowrance vs Hummingbird

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Imaging: Lowrance vs Hummingbird

Post by Eagle »

Now that downward imaging is here, I am very interested in this technology. Would like some input about it. Worth it or not and which is better, the Lowrance or the Hummingbird? What about through the hull of an aluminum boat for imaging?

Thanks,

Eagle
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Thru the hull is not an option as far as I know.

Humminbird vs Lowrance is an awesome topic. But in the end, both are awesome products and you cannot go wrong. Lowrance a has dedicated crystal for DI where humminbird uses software to analyze the SI overlap to create its DI.

Humminbird has had SI since 2004, so their technology is likely more mature and stable, but I've not heard anything wrong with Lowrance.

Humminbird has a better customer service reputation, but I cannot speak to the Lowrance side. Maybe just more people bitch/complain who buy Lowrance... (hahaha)

If you already invested in a lowrance, then you can get SI/DI for cheaper than a new Humminbird. However, from what I see, based upon screen-size, SI and DI feature's comparable models Humminbird prices out quite a bit less than Lowrance.

It's kind of like Blonds and Burnetts IMO. There both fun and if you get the right model they do their jobs well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I could do it over, I would have purchased the bigger screen.... Just the almost doubling in price ($1000-$2000 or something like that) I couldn't swing.
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

If you already have the Humminbird machine the update to DI is free. It became available in January this year. I updated my 997 with no problems. Can't wait to try all the new features as i just got the 997.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

Thanks
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

One thing to consider is that if the Humminbird lawsuit against Lowrance is sucessfull (re: side imaging patents) then Lowrance product development and support may dry up.