Trailer Troubles

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trailer Troubles

Post by waynerb66 »

Well I hooked up my trailer for the first time this season. And my lights do not work! I have no idea where to begin looking for problems. I did notice that the little lights on my connector are no longer on like they usually were.(U Haul connector). This leaves me to believe that the issue is with the car and not the trailer.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

Check the ground connections.

My lights did not work this yr either.
I pulled all the ground connection bolts on the trailer, cleaned of where they may contact between the bolt heads and trailer (with some steel wool) now they all work.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Do you have a separate ground wire between car & trailer or do you rely on hitch/ball as ground?? :(

If the latter, try a 'clean at both ends' ground between car & trailer & see what happens. :wink:

:oops: :oops: OOPS!! Guess Dartee beat me by 3 minutes!!!
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

1. Check your ground on the harness of the vehicle make sure it is clean of corrosion and secure.

2. Some hire harnesses are hooked directly to the fuse block, make sure there is no blown fuses.

3. With a contact cleaning solution and not a house hold cleaner make sure the contacts on the harness on the vehicle and boat are clean and free of debris.

4. Check the wires running from the plug back and look for corroded or cut wires.

For $5 you can get a Trailer wire tested at Canadian Tire and all you do is plug it to your harness plug and it will light for L & R turn signals, brake light, lights and ground.

Hope this helps

JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

Thanks for all the advice. I have checked fuses. They seem okay. As JP said it is wired directly to the fuse box. I have not checked the ground wire on the trailer. I think the problem is with the car though. As I mentioned, the U Haul connector lights up like a Christmas tree. And none of those lights are on. So I guess my only option is to follow those wires and see if there are any broken. Hopefully I can get it figured out by the weekend.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Had trouble with mine last year.They ran off both the running lights of the truck and a separate fuse for brakes and turn signals. Which light were not working?

Ron