4 stroke weight issues

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

4 stroke weight issues

Post by Abraxus »

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 14.5 ft Princecraft Fisherman, aluminum boat. I also got a Mercury 15hp four stroke with it.
For the most part, I don't have a lot of complaints. I think the 2 strokes of their day were much better in almost every case. Ya the 4 strokes burn less gas and pollute less, but the power to weight ratio sucks!

With this being said, I still really didnt have much in the way of a problem with the motor. That is until this weekend.

I went fishing by myself this past weekend and boy was it rough out there. More importantly, it was the way the boat performed that really had me concerned. With the heavy four stroke and my fat behind, all being at the back of the boat....My butt was practically under water!

If I have someone else with me, (which is usually the case) the boat goes perfect! Their additional weight in the front of the boat, balances it out very nicely! But by myself, I have absolutely no keel in the water at all. Therfore the steering sucks! Not to mention how low the boat is sitting in the water back there! At one point I had a wave come right over the transome and drench me! A little bit scary actually. I weigh 195lbs, so I dont think this is excessive weight. The boat is rated for a 20hp motor. This four stroke engine bit is crap if you ask me! I could have had 25 horse 2 stroke on back there and it would still have been only half the freaking weight! When I am by myself, the top of the transome to the water level may be 3 to 4 inches. Thats not enough for my comfort!

Has anyone had this sort of complaint with these motors?

Ab
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

4 strokes are very heavy.

Recently a freind purchased a 16 foot princecraft rated for a 75hp. He opted for a 60hp 2 stroke.

The weight differences between the 75 hp 4s and the 60hp 2s is 140 lbs

the 75 weighs in @ 400 lbs and the 60hp weighs 260 lbs. I don't think he is going to miss those 15 horses.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

The weight difference between a 2 and 4 stroke 15hp is likely about 20-35 lbs which isn't alot but sitting right on the transom will make a definite difference. I would consider a hydrofoil on the motor which should help both the holeshot and give you an improved and more level ride while running.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I can't speak for comparing motors but I do have the "fat butt" problem :wink: and have had problems steering when riding alone.

Get a couple of those blue 40L water jugs. If you are going out alone, fill the jugs with water and chuck them in the front of the boat to keep the nose down. A full jug will weight about 40Kg/90lbs and when you are done for the day just pour the water back into the river. Beats hauling cement blocks around.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Graembo »

Beachburg's got the right idea. If you're alone in a tinny that's gonna happen no matter 4-stroke, 2 stroke, no-stroke, row-stroke. It's how you distribute what's in your boat.

First try putting your gas tank at the very front. And keep it full (fresh gas is good gas, and the weight helps).

Do you have an electric motor? If so put the battery up front too.

If that's not enough then go to the water-jug technique previously listed. It shouldn't take THAT much to balance it out.

Good luck,
G
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks

Post by Abraxus »

Thanks guys!

All great ideas. I think I will cetainly try the water barrel idea. The whole time I was out there, I was trying to figure what I should use to get the nose of the boat down. I didnt really want to put my fishing gear up there, since it would make it difficult to get to while changing lures and what not on the fly. I always put the anchor in the nose, but the water barrel idea sounds smart indeed. With this being said, if it were not for the 3 year warranty I still have on the motor, I would totally be looking for someone to swap my four stroke with their 2 stroke! I have seen my exact boat with a 25hp 2 stroke on it and what a difference! Especially when it comes to putting the boat away at the end of the weekend. I have to take the 15 off the boat and carry it to a locked shed where I store it every night. Lugging that motor from point A to B is seriously a chore!

I plan to put a small casting deck in the front of the boat this winter, when I have the time to do. That should help a little as well.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Ab
FishinJim
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinJim »

I have the same boat. I have put in flooring, a casting deck, trolling motor & battery. I run a 2006 Yamaha 20hp 2-stroke.

By myself @ WOT I get 44 kph (GPS). With 2 passengers, about 36 kph. I wouldn't want to go much faster in that little boat.

According to Mercury's web site their 15hp 4S weighs 111 lbs. A Yamaha 20hp or 25hp 2S weighs 104 lbs. No significant weight savings if you move up in horsepower.

Jim
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I agree with Spinner. I had this problem years ago with a 7.5 Honda 4stroke on a 12 foot and fixed it with a hydrofoil. The difference was like night and day. The hydrofoil greatly improvesdhandling, sticks the boat to the water and keeps the front end down. Less hassle than adding weight to the boat and doesn't take up any of that precious room in a small boat.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

I would avoid hydrofoil and invest in smart tabs by Nauticus
They won't slow you down like hydrofoil and no need to drill
cavitation plate.