Radials Or Bias Ply???

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Radials Or Bias Ply???

Post by Eagle »

Trailer tires again. What is the groups thoughts on radial trailer tires versus bias ply?

Best brand of tire?

Brands to stay away from?

Thanks again!!!!!
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Hi Eagle,
First and foremost make sure you purchase a tire with the ST (Special Trailer) designation to insure getting the necessary stiff beefy sidewalls to provide stability and to handle the stress imposed by a heavy load.
My research indicated that " while it is true that a bias ply tire can provide more side-to-side stability than a radial tire, a bias ply tire also runs hotter than a radial tire. If you are pulling a heavy load, and need the extra measure of stability, go with the bias ply. On the other hand, if you do a lot of long distance towing with a relatively light load at high speeds, the radial design may be better for you, because it runs cooler than the bias ply. The cooler the tire, the less it will fatigue."
I have radials on my 186 Princecraft because I make at least one trip each year to my home town of Amherstburg on the lower Detroit River ( a 10 hour trip on 401) plus several trips a year to BOQ and Port Hope. No problems in last 6 years.[/i][/code]
big_ski
Participant
Participant

Post by big_ski »

Hey Eagle,

My family has owned and operated a tire shop for the last 23 years. Erie hit it right on the head.

I run Good Year Super Rib's on my trailer, and have had no issues yet. Were out fishing at least 4 or 5 times a week and minimum average travel is about an hour 1 way.

My recommendation would definitely be Good Year or Micheline radials.

Tight Lines.

Ski