Anyone ever painted the bottom of a fibergalss Boat ???

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Anyone ever painted the bottom of a fibergalss Boat ???

Post by mudboy68 »

Hello All,

Well with the little tease of warmer weather mother nature has blessed us with this weeked My thoughts have turned to boating fishing hot summer days on the water and catching a wopper as my 5 year old says.

Well looking in the back yard at my fiberglass boat on blocks with its peeling bottom I start scouering the internet on How to's for repainting the bottom of my boat.

So I bought this boat last spring ran last summer with it in as is condition but this year I would like to fix it up a bit. The boat was originaly red brown painted white by the previous owner. I assume that the bottom was not preped correctly as it is flaking and peeling like crazy.

Now after parusing the internet I have found lots of good stuff on prep sandy etc but not much on what type or brand of paint to use. this boat is a weekend runner gets trailered everywhere and doesn't spend much more than a day in the water.

Can any one tell me what kind of paint ether brand or name I can use on this boat.
Can I use just tremclad with a prep coat of primer or do I need somthin special.

Thanks

Mud

P.S. The topside of the boat is fine other than needing a good cleaning and wax job.
jiggy2006
Participant
Participant

gelcoat

Post by jiggy2006 »

i gelcoat mine (white & got some dark color tint so it didnt look like a white white ghost) & thinned it with acetone.. and sprayed couple coats of it.. then sprayed automotive type clearcoat on it.. its messy but turned out good.. that was for the bottom half (where it gets wet).. and top half, i used regular auto primer, paint, clearcoat..

i was doing the same research as you were doing at the time, most important before painting is the prep work (you have to get the oil/wax etc.. out ..give it a nice sand-down)..

remembered had an option to use acrylic / polyurethane type (exterior enamel) paint.. do some search on that.. believe you can find these paints at hardware store, and apply with a clean brush / foam roller. Apply couple coats..should be good..
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Post by mudboy68 »

Thanks Jiggy will do a little resarch on acrylic / polyurethane type (exterior enamel).

The more the sun shines the more ancie I get.

Come on Spring time.

Mud
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

go check out BBC bass boat central they have a restoration forum that is great..
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Post by mudboy68 »

Thanks Guys Will lookat that site and I know there will be a lot of prep work I figure thats why it's peeling now is that th previous owner didn't do the prep right cause the paint looks good

Ty
Mud
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Painting a fibreglass boat.

Post by Joey Rat »

I'm going to apologize right off the top here. I just came from the fishing forum and a thread about respect and political correctness.

That being said I have to ask, does anti-fowling paint keep chickens off the bottom of your boat? :roll: :lol:
gussser
Participant
Participant

Post by gussser »

Joey Rat=======Anti-fowling paint is meant to keep your boat from getting BIRD FLU. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

sorry cant resist
if i use some of that paint on my reels will it help with the birds nest in the line too :lol:
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Post by mudboy68 »

No No No guys anti fowling paint keeps the ducks off your boat..lol

Mud
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

Was Anti Fowling married to Uncle Henpecked?
Ernest T Bass
Participant
Participant

Paitin Yer BOAT

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Snd it down really well.Now IN A WELL VENTALATED area apply a cloth with laquer thinners to get rid of any oils or crap you may have missed. Now, there's a company out the west end of T.O. Smith Paints or fibreglas,they sell the propper paint for the job! AND IT LASTS! I believe the guys name is JOE.

Take Care..Good Fishin' Ernest T. BASS

P.S. I think theyr'e on Dundas near the Queensway.
Ernest T Bass
Participant
Participant

RE;Paintin' yer boat

Post by Ernest T Bass »

It just dawned on me, SMITH BOATWORKS , their on the north side of Dundas I think!! G Fing!

Ernest T. BASS
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Mud,

I have had good luck with Interlux Brightside, available from the chandlerly. You don't need the anti-foul paint unless your boat sits in a slip most of its life. If it is a trailer princess as mine is, the brightside is plenty.

The more prep the better, but how much work you want to put into it will be up to you. Regardless, a fresh coat of paint always makes things look nice and new again.
Oh ya, the brightside can be rolled on if you're not well equipped with a sprayer.

Good luck.
Bill
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey guy! :D

It's good to know you are actually thinking of continuing the work on your pet project, MT. Unlike so many other men, (oops!) I mean people, that start a new project with great enthusiasm and then lose momentum.

I look forward to some progress reports.

Every spring I think of ya as I miss those Rockland launch ice-out pics. :wink:

Hope you, the "Missus" and the kids are doing well.

W.