Charging batteries

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Charging batteries

Post by Troller »

Hey guys and gals,
I have two batteries in my boat. One is a deep cycle for the trolling motor, and the other battery is the cranking battery. For the trolling motor the indicator test feature on my Min-Kota is telling me to recharge the battery. When I go to charge the battery the charger is showing me that the battery is fully charged :oops: The motor still seems to worlk all right any suggestions on why this would be happening :?:
Also, for my cranking battery; is it okay to charge the battery for a few hours of could this harm the battery :?: I am going on vaction soon and I would like to make sure both batteries are fully charged.

Thanks
Daver
jj-da-fisher
Participant
Participant

your battery problem

Post by jj-da-fisher »

My first ? always when I think something is up with a battery is how old is it? The life expectancy isn't as long as you would think on a deep cycle battery even with proper care in the off season. They will only usually last 4 years tops. How many pounds thrust is your trolling motor? If it is not that strong of a motor it would run quite a while on a older less powerful battery. As for your cranking battery it doesn't hurt to charge it for a couple of hours but if you drive your boat often your alternator should be keeping it topped up for you. I pretty much never put the cranking battery on the charger unless it has sat for quite some time.
I hope this helps. You could always take the deep cycle in to a reputable battery shop for a load test. They would be able to tell you if you need a new one or not. Good luck on your trip.
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Re: your battery problem

Post by pikeonthe fly »

As an aside to your post, I got caught the other day with a discharged cranking battery while out bassing. First time its happened but fortunately I was able to jump from the trolling motor battery with jump leads I carry as a matter of course. Something I was advised to do by an 'old hand' some time ago...and glad I did.

Main cause was working on the bow mount for a time, or trolling with the kicker. All the time using the GPS/sounder, recirc for the livewells, Radio and at dusk, such as the Navigation lights. Main motor did not do that much running so not much charging going on. Over a few days it all caught up with me. Being a relative 'newbi', it was a learning curve. Passing this on in the hope others may benefit too.