Float Tube

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
woodhouse34
Participant
Participant

Float Tube

Post by woodhouse34 »

Well I just got my first ever float tube and going to go give it a try tomorrow morning for some trout around my place...any tips or advice since I have never used one before..Its one of those waterskeeter ones. Anyways wish me luck and any tips would be appreciated

Cheers
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

There's not much rocket science to it. I would suggest spending a few minutes to learn how the tube feels in shallow water before venturing over deeper water.

And wear a life jacket. The water is still very cold.

HTH,
Doug
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

woodhouse,

I also have a skeeter. Personally I've found that I do not like to inflate the top portion completely (partially do to a slow leak). I find with it little softer, it's easier to reach the water at the sides of the tube. I also like to sit forward, resting my forearms on the bar, rather than sitting back in the seat like a recliner.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

Todd, I picked up a pontoon but also want to get a tube for those hard to reach places. I have about 600 bucks left from the sale of my motorcycle after purchasing the pontoon. Any suggestions on a tube of choice?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Bondo,

Everyone I know has switched to the Outcast float tubes. I was going to switch this season as well unfortunately I don't have the spare $$ at the moment.

Greg at Float Paddle & Fly carries them if you want to check them out. The Outcast come in a number of models but I would recommend the Fat Cat or Super Fat Cat models depending on your requirements. They also come in foam block seating or inflatable seating. The inflatable seating versions pack down very small if you're thinking of doing any serious hiking with your gear.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

Thanks Todd. Hopefully see you at the open house. Have to coach t-ball that night first.