Question: How To Keep Minnows Alive

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Question: How To Keep Minnows Alive

Post by Suddsy »

:?: Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep my minnows alive after a day of fishing? Aside from the problem of having to drive so far to get minows (Kemptville to Manotick) they are expensive enough that it would be nice to keep them for my next fishing trip. I have an oxygen pump but the minows are still dying after a couple of days.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I bought a big plastic tub at walmart and I have a pump in it circulating water. It's in my unheated basement so the water stays nice and cold.

Try not to use clorine water and try to keep it cold.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I change the water in the bucket with filtered water and it works for me. If one dies, they will all die, so remove dead ones quick.
Cheers.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

I've been having great luck keeping them alive in just a 5 gallon bucket filled half way with river water. I store them in my unheated garage and even if a layer of ice forms on top they still seem to survive. Had two dozen for over a week and only a couple died. You scoop 'em out quickly and you won't harm the rest. I don't aerate mine but I suspect they'd live even longer with air circulation and very little ice would form in the bucket.

I find sucker minnows the hardiest by far but have had great success keeping emerald and golden shiners as well.

bucket
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Good suggestions guys! It sounds like I have not been keeping them in enough water. I have been afraid to move them into a bigger bucket with more water in case the shock of the temperature change or different water type would kill them.
teppy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by teppy »

If it stays dark than there metabolism slows down as well. so cold and dark is best,change water when it gets cloudy. Aerate is good and you can even feed them little bread crumbs. you can always stir the bucket and as long as you are making bubbles you are aerateing them.
Teppy
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

KEEP THEM ICE COLD!
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

alive

Post by bts »

I keep them in the beer fridge in my unheated garage. I have them in a 5 gallon pail 3/4 full. Change the water every few days and they last a long time.
Sluggo
Participant
Participant

Post by Sluggo »

I use an old cooler. The key as I see it is lots of water, no light and almost freezing temperatures. Minnows will last at least a week before I need to change the water.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

:D :D :D I appreciate all of the suggestions. sounds like lots of water, keep it real cold and preferably aerated and keep it in the dark. Teppy mentioned adding some breadcrumb for food. Anybody else feeding the minnows?
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

I feed them Tropical fish food when storing them for long periods, just a pinch though. Too much food and you will be changing the water a lot more frequently.
All above suggestions are A1.
JasonM
Caseys Dream
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Caseys Dream »

Here is my secret to keeping minnows alive, one I got from my father. Take the strainer part of the bucket with the minnows still inside and drop into your sump pump hole. The sump always refreshes itself with clean, aerated water from your weepers around the house, keeping the water changed over and clean and cool. We even feed them inside the bucket, all the wastes go out with the sump pump.

We've keptthem for months, even escapaees swim for months and avoid the pump when it kicks on. Beleieve me, it works.

CD
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Casey that is hilarious :P
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I put them..

Post by muskymuskymusky »

I put them in the bath tub over night with a little water dripping. For more than a night i have never tried and would be way to much water. :)