How long should auger blades last.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

How long should auger blades last.

Post by Scumking »

I just started using my new Finn Bore III manual auger and I'm curious as to how long I can expect to cut with ease before they need sharpening or changing.

Thanks
Scumking :D
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I dont really know, but my guess is you will probably be abelt o tell....I think it will depend on the care of them and the amount it is used. Again someone with more experience might be able to help more.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'd say a long time if you take care of it...

Most important thing about using augers....DO NOT bang them on the ice when you walk over to start a hole....that angle of the blades is what really matters....

RJ
Curtis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Curtis »

I have the Sweed bore and i have been wondering about the same thing. From what i understand its blade life is shorter than the Fin bore, is this true? :cry:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Don't forget to "vaseline" them to when you store it :!:
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

I try to keep them in good shape, I cahnge mine 2 to 3 times a year. It makes all the difference in the world having sharp blades. :lol: :arrow:
Northamfishing Tackle
Curtis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Curtis »

I have heard that you can get the blades sharpened. Where and how do they do this?
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

When I bought my Swede-Bore it came with an address in Toronto to send them to get sharpened. I recall the address was Normark. It would cost 12/15 dollars and you may wait a few weeks. I would rather spend an extra 10 dollars and have the blades ASAP.

Scott
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

I am on my second set of new blades, which is my third set of blades this year taking into consideration my old ones from last year. Usually I just go through 2 but I smacked a rock this year which spelled the end of those blades.

I find that the Finn Bores 3 are more fragile then the Swede Bores, probably due to the angle of the blades which are pointed downwards whcih makes the extremities real important and real fragile.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

I just sharpened a pair of blades for a Swede-Bore 8" auger, but I have a question for you guys, take a magnet off the fridge or where ever and try sticking it to your auger blades, let me know if they are magnetic? Please I need to know!
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Bumped this one, reason being that they make a magnetic stainless steel in Sweden, and I would be very interested in knowing if this is the steel in your auger blades. Reason being it is tougher than any other steel I machine, and very expensive! Which would explain the price of blades.
x-Toban
Participant
Participant

Post by x-Toban »

Yes, they are magnetic.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Thanks x-Toban. Magnetic stainless is a 400 series steel and can be honed to a razor edge, unless you have chipped them badly or bent them, do not throw out old blades! If you can sharpen a knife and have a soft stone you should be able to get a new edge on your blades in 10 minutes, a lot cheaper than replacing!
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey FFF,

Are we talking about the Swede Bore or the Finn Bore blades now or both :?:. I believe the cost to replace them is quite different.

Ron
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bottoms Up »

I have the 6" Swede Bore and a new set of blades costs around $15 !
I've drilled a good 100-150 holes and shes still going strong !