i would like help to buy dig..camera

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

i would like help to buy dig..camera

Post by joco »

OK guys

I am looking to buy a digital camera.......i could show my fish picture in her :lol: that would be great,,,,,,,,

But i dont no anything about those thing,,,,,,guirlfriend have one,,but i just can get closer thene 20 feet frome it :x its for her work,,,so its a dont toutch this,,,,,,,,,,,

its a canon a70 3.2,,,,,,,,,dont no if its good but seems to take nice picture,,,,,,

so what chould i get for myselfe,to take fish and all kind off thing,,,,,,i am not a photographer,,,,,,,just some simple picture,,but i would like to take some nice back country picture to,,,,,,,,

so you guys what would you recommende to me,,,,,,,,,i will like to be not to mutch expensif,,,,,,,,,,,

if ther some place i could get some used one,,,but good one to,,,,,,,

thanks for the help
:wink:
joco
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Joco

i have the cannon a60.....thats a cheaper model than your girlfriends....works fine
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well while doing my shopping here's what I found. Be sure to get 3.0 pixels minimum. You want optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom. Optical is the type that the lense actually moves in and out, I believe. Can't quite remember why they ALL said that, but they did.

Do you want to shoot mini videos? If so, look for that as well. Digital cameras are notorius (spell that right?) for sucking batteries, most places recommend rechargable batteries. The thing to keep in mind is, how often will you use it. Maybe rehargeable isn't the way to go for you:!:

The camera your girlfriend has is quite good from what I remember. It has a dial on top for selecting different features if I'm not mistaken. I really liked that on the Cannons I looked at.

There are models that are "all weather" too. Will you take it out on all fishing trips? If so, you may want that feature. The other thing is getting a big enough memory card. Usually 16-32-256 and 512 Megs. I went with the top of the line...Didn't want to run out of room :roll: ...

Hope some of this is useful to you :!: Goodluck Image
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Joco

Most Canon, especially in the PowerShot serie are great cameras. Canon is known for the quality of their lenses.

You don't need to go super high in the Mega pixel count. I would not go under 3Mega Pixels, just in case you ever want to print something in a large size some day. 4 Mpix is a good quality/price ratio.

Pixels are little dots that create the picture. A Mega pixel is a million of them in a square inch. At 3 Mega pixels, you can increase the size of a picture to about 8x10 without any loss of quality noticeable by naked eye. As you get bigger, you start to loose quality because you start to basically notice the dots.

An other thing to look at is the zoom. If you are a power user as far as zoom, you might want something like a 10 X optical zoom but you would talk about a 600$ camera :shock: . 3x optical is a decent all around zoom size that will give you an OK zoom without being too bad on your wallet.

In the name of portability, a lot of manifacturers make their cameras smaller and smaller. Make sure you handle the camera you want to buy. Too small can be a bit of a pain.

A display in the back is nice to view your shots but still use the viewfinder to take you shots. The camera is then more stable against your face as opposed to be at arms lenghts (especially if taking pictures in a boat.

I recommend putting your camera in a dry bag for storage in the boat, the type canoists use. Put a pack of silica gel in the bag to kill moisture.

For $150 you should be able to get somethig decent. They constantly go on sale.
Last edited by Rescue78 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:You want optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom. Optical is the type that the lense actually moves in and out, I believe. Can't quite remember why they ALL said that, but they did.

Optical zoom means the picture is as actually viewed through the zooming lens as opposed to digital zoom that is electronically produced. You loose a lot on picture quality when using digital zoom.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Rescue78 wrote:
Wall-I-Guy wrote:You want optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom. Optical is the type that the lense actually moves in and out, I believe. Can't quite remember why they ALL said that, but they did.

Optical zoom means the picture is as actually viewed through the zooming lens as opposed to digital zoom that is electronically produced. You loose a lot on picture quality when using digital zoom.
Ya that's it :!: :wink:

Thanks Rescue :!:
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

Hi Joco.......here is a link to a website that I found to be very informative in my search for a camera....
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

hope this helps
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Good link Hoss...There's a ton of stuff in there. :shock:

They don't have my camera listed though...Polaroid 4095., 4.5 mega pixels, does video, takes SD memory cards up to 512 meg, has a zoom... from what I've heard though, the type of zoom is one of the main factors in determining price, this one is digital...I think?

Anyway, for $150.00 I'm happy :wink:
Ladyfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Ladyfish »

Good luck with you search :) Asked the pros at work before I picked up one for the kids at Christmas. The other factor you need is to make sure it uses a Compact Flash memory card instead of something else. That is what you store the pictures on. Also the smaller the camera the better the eyesight you need to see the buttons; etc...... :shock: They advised to stick with Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Kodak. Happy shopping !
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

joco i have an A70 and i'm very happy with it... you may have to go to an A75 now as they don't make the A70 anymore but the a75 has a larger screen. The a95 is a very nice camera but costs a lot more.

This camera gets a lot of good revies and my choice was based on a couple of other people on this board and two reviews online where they put 50 cameras head to head.
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topraider »

Check out also the Olympus Stylus 300 (3.2 megapixel)

It's weather resistant - you can use it in the rain and get it splashed, but its not meant to be submerged. If you fish outside, that is a good feature.

It also comes with a battery and charger.

It doesn't do movies though.
Chrispy
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrispy »

Joco, Wall-I-Guy and Rescue78 are right on the money with their posts...I had to do some quoting for a client on digital cameras (I'm a computer and network consultant) and when looking for him I decided to buy one myself...I did a lot of research before buying and I went with the Canon PowerShot S1 IS ($600.00)...I purchased this one because it was the only one out there for the price with a 10X optical zoom....it also has a stabalizer built in so you can use the 10X zoom without using a tripod...it's only a 3.2 mega pixel but I will not be blowing up my photos bigger than 8" X 10", so it is more than enough...make sure when you decide on your camera to get a couple sets of rechargable batteries for that model...the battery life on some of these cameras is very short especially if it has a LCD veiwing screen....hope this helps!!

Chrispy!
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Chrispy wrote:I decided to buy one myself...I did a lot of research before buying and I went with the Canon PowerShot S1 IS ($600.00)...I purchased this one because it was the only one out there for the price with a 10X optical zoom....it also has a stabalizer built in so you can use the 10X zoom without using a tripod

Chrispy!
Chrispy

That is my camera as well. I love it. The only down side is with macro and auto focus in darker environment could be better.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Thanks a lot guys for all those info..............

I think i will go for a canon,,,,,,,,but now i am cheking for a site ,where i can found all the price and the best place to buy theme in canada,wit canadian price ,that i could bring at futur shop ,and they have to match the price :wink: so i am looking for the same site as the other one you guys gave me but canadian,,,,,,,,,,

thanks hoss for the great site,,,,,,,

and thanks again everyone for the help :P

joco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still shoping
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

canon A75

you'll be very thankful you bought it.

trust me.