Winter Steelhead Tactics?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Winter Steelhead Tactics?

Post by BBRich »

Hey all, with the cold now upon us and it only promising to get colder.. fishing the lakes in my boat is becoming less and less possible. But in some areas steelhead are open all year and I would like to catch one before the year ends. So does anybody have any tips/tactics for hooking into a winter steelhead? I don't suppose casting a spoon or spinner would do any good at this time of year. Any help/tips would be appreciated!
Sleded
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

ROE!!!!

Post by Sleded »

I got one pattern for fishing steelhead! Drift a Bag in there!!!!!!!!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Rich,,,,,,,PUT DOWN THE HARDWEAR!!!!!!! :lol: Honestly BBR, you might get one or 2 off the piers tossin hardwear, but this time of year, BE TRUE TO THE FLOAT 8) Alot of walking will be key to finding fish in the winter months(Open water areas, watch the regs)But Sleded said drift a bag....Yes by all means drift a roe bag b4 its light out, and you may hit a few fish, throughout the day roe may get you a few more.But think different bro!!!!!!Take as many baits as you would or should in the fall-spring with you, and a good pair of gloves, and a towel, your hands will get cold quick from touching water or the constant retie!

Small crappie jigs, pinkies(Alter your rigging)tubes(1")all different colors,try maggots too you never know what the "Hot bait" is going to be unless you experiment with a plie of different styles, and colors.Watch the water, high stained to moo moo bigger baits will be key, clear water stealth mode comes in for you and baits.Look for the water to have a good tinge, but not mud moo moo, and alter your presentations.Lengthen your lead, shortn your lead, go higher lb test the more dirty the water (If you r comfy to using light lead stick with it)Not so comfy, use light lead in clear water 5 to 3lb test fluro is the way to go.Cant stess the importance of flouro line for a lead!!!!Light split, and few if possible just enough to cock your float up.

Usin the jigs in slower water givem a twich ever 10 seconds or so along your drift to make the mariboo come alive under your float.And tubes too give em a twich every so often to catch the attention of a staging or moving fish.Brown roe will out produce others right now, but Bow roe will fall right into 2nd place for if you are using natural.Tie your bags big med and small in all diff color variations.Flies are almost out, but dont be shy and give a few patterns a whirl.

My personal faves, are Pink worms, Little crappie jigs, and Roe b4 1st light into the daybreak.

This time of year is prob your best chance at a BIG steel.

Need anymore info, or ideas on water and colors, drop me a pm budz!!!

T.L The winter lovin steel hunter F.F
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

Also you can use streamers or yarn off of a 3 way swivel setup.
A friend of mine only uses streamers that he's tied up,he uses them all winter shore fishing. Steelhead and Browns and Lakers on the lower Niagara.
Send Fullofgas a pm on the Niagara board.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

BBR, what I posted is for smaller river systems.The Niagra like Laketrout posted is a whole diff ball game for bigger water.Can you let me know what rivers or areas you will be targeting them in????I can narrow it down for you that way.

But Laketrout is right bigger water the 3-way with chunks of skein, minnows, and other artaficials will be more key to getting fish.Bigger pink worms too, go to a 4 to 6" worm in the bigger water case.Also a 13ft rod will doo(Mind you thats what I use :wink: A 10-1/2 will be just great too) and heavier line, the lead can be bulked up for bigger water cons.

Drop me a line BBR let me know what kind of areas you will be hittin.

T.L F.F
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

FF I'm fishing smaller river systems in this area like the Lynn River and Youngs Creek but I wouldn't rule out a trip to the Niagara either. Thanks a bunch for all your tips they're really helpful, I'm printing them out. I'm making up my own little pink worms. Last year I used a chunk of sponge soaked in scent instead of roe and picked up an 8lb steelie (and lost it promptly) but I wonder if it was just a fluke, cuz after that I couldn't buy a bite on it.
SkeinMachine
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SkeinMachine »

Gotta luv the snow(before the lakes freeze).
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

That looks like the Credit river?
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

SkeinMachine wrote:Image

see, now i wish we had a place like that down here in the Niagara area... sure we have Port D and the niagara, but i have more fun on "small" rivers like that one.... not too mention i've never caught a trout of any type (foul hooking doesn't count- except on trout farms)....
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

steelies

Post by boogie »

Hey BBR, just got back from the week-end trip, managed to land 10 females on Saturday with the smallest one at 10 lbs. On Sunday we only got 3 males, fish with roe all week-end. Boy what a great week-end.
Boogie
Poisson On !
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

spanky wrote:
SkeinMachine wrote:Image

see, now i wish we had a place like that down here in the Niagara area... sure we have Port D and the niagara, but i have more fun on "small" rivers like that one.... not too mention i've never caught a trout of any type (foul hooking doesn't count- except on trout farms)....
The Credit is a great place for flyfishing. I used to live in Georgetown and it was within walking distance to the Credit. There is also Silver Creek that I fished every friday night,it flows into the Credit. Silver creek would only be 15' wide at the widest spot. A few years ago they put some adult Steelhead in there,on a flyrod, small creek, trying to land a big steelhead lots of fun :cry: They also put 12" Steelhead in there every year,great place to go all summer,I released everything I caught,I also caught 2 Brown trout there. There used to be Spec trout in there until the water treatment plant had a warm water release and killed all of them. They also stock it with Salmon Par.