Log books

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Log books

Post by Gordo »

Hey Fellow Hawk Talkers,

I've been meaning to start keeping a log of all the fish I catch but never got around to it this year. I really want to change this for next year. What information do you fine folks keep in your log books so I know what I should keep in there. Look forward to your replies as always.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
Hoover
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoover »

date / body of water / location
weather conditions (been watchin and playin with barometric pressures)
surface temp
temp at every 10ft interval
thermo cline
water clarity
depth of fish when caught and time (time has been dead on they start and end at the same time)
lure and colour

i think thats about it, i been tryin to get it all into an access database and hoepfully get more anglers to fill in tables for me sometime and make some sort of program that queries it all!
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Same as Hoover, time of day is a biggie for me, givesyou some idea of light conditions. Record surface temp, but temp at every ten feet i can't measure, don't have the gear to do it. Thermocline etc. all good things. What tune was playing when you got the hit! Supersticous (sp) darn right, save that tune till you need it again :wink:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Gordo
date / body of water / location
surface temp
thermo cline
water clarity
depth of fish when caught and time (time has been dead on they start and end at the same time)
lure and colour

i think thats about it, i been tryin to get it all into an access database and hoepfully get more anglers to fill in tables for me sometime and make some sort of program that queries it all!!

Hoover pretty well covered it all ....you also may want to include ...Surface speeds ....Way points if you are useing a Gps....Lenth of line out.. ie....100 feet off the ball, or 150 feet off the planner board...Planner board out 50 feet.....Line type ...ie Mono....Braid and LBS test( which will make a diffeance in the lure depth if flat lining)
I would also think you may want to keep the direction of the wind..and strengh....I found out this fall on Quinte wind plays a big part in locating fish 8)
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

John didn't you make a log sheet for Fishhawk :?:

Or am I having one of my moments :!: :roll:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

good points Big O speed and line out are also things you should record. We should start a data base or are we telling too much?
Michael
Participant
Participant

Post by Michael »

Some thoughts on the value of fishing logs (and Muskies Canada) to muskellunge management in Ontario and Quebec.
http://www.muskiescanada.ca/Release_Log_Program.php
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Great stuff guys! There are some things I never thought about recording, but after reading your suggestions they make a ton of sense. Thanks so much!

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Hoover wrote:date / body of water / location
surface temp
thermo cline
water clarity
lure and colour
Very much like Hooves although I like to add mooncycles, time of day, approach (whether it be jigging, casting etc) and rod(s) and line. Ohh and I always put whether I had company and how they did if they tell me or I keep track
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

i also put h2o clarity, wave action,and boat direction( i fish the O alot)
nofish