What's pushing ya around!?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

What model is you main motor?

Honda
5%
Johnson
26%
Evinrude
14%
Mercury
36%
Yamaha
3%
Mariner
3%
Inboard
5%
MinnKota (haha)
2%
Other
5%

Total votes: 58

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

What's pushing ya around!?

Post by Markus »

What kind of motor is pushing ya around? Has it been treating ya good?
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Merc 50 hp 4 stroke..runs like a top 8)
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

I have a 40 oilinjected Merc. I had new plugs put in it last March,I now have near 900 miles on this set.
I have a 4 stroke 6hp,I've never changed the plug ,I must have at least 400 miles on this engine since March. I change the oil at least twice a month.
It has never failed me,worrying about it starting after shutting it off,has never been a concern. Oh the prop,not a mark,acturally the prop looks like it just came out of the showroom.
Only problem I did have was the dealer installed a lighter on my dash that rusted out and shorted and blew the fuse in the big motor.
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

1978 Yamaha 15 hp. Its been a great motor. Starts first pull as it always did. There are not many weeks where it hasn't been used at least ones.
Replaced the seals and shift shaft for the first time this year.
Changed the water pump last year for first time.
Changed the gear oil and plugs first time 2 years ago when I read it was good to do that ones in a while on a message board.
Next motor will be a Yamaha again.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

75 Merc 4 stroke
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

1990 80hp Merc 2stroke

Always worked great until last weekend. $2300 dollars worth of repairs :shock:

Its possible that my habit of not always letting the motor warm up could have caused the problem. :oops:
I haven't missed too many weekends of fishing with this boat the last few years but unfortunatly have missed the December fish because of motor problems. Next December the fish haven't got a chance :D
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Older...

Post by Cancatchbass »

I've got an older Johnson- 1993 175HP FastStrike.

Had to have her rebuilt last year after 930 hours. :cry: I replaced the power pack once in the ten years, and had the lower unit replaced after destroying the original on a rock.

Has been a great motor (starts first crack- always and moves me along pretty well), but gets nowhere near the mileage of the new DFI's or 4 strokes. Mind you, I can afford to run a lot of gas through her when I look at $15,000 plus for a replacement. :lol:

LT- I have hour meters on my boat for the main engine and trolling motor. How do you know you have nearly 900 miles on your engine?

CCB
The Hound
Participant
Participant

Post by The Hound »

I have a 2002 75 hp Merc 4stroke . The tilt/trim had to be replaced but it was still under warranty . Its easy to do routine maintenance except for getting at the plugs is a little tricky .
Love the smooth ride .
fishchaser
Participant
Participant

Post by fishchaser »

up until this year I had a 125hp Force, no problems what so ever, however
was sick and tired of mixing Oil with gas. Bought a 175hp Johnson,Oil injection, knock, knock, no problem thus far.

fishchaser

may today be your best fishing ever
King Me
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by King Me »

Twin straight inboard 351's. 560hp combined.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

2000 Evinrude 40hp 4strk.. bought used with the boat in June. Runs like a charm . Put about 180hrs on this year with close to 2/3 trolling.
Would have loved a Honda but beggers can't be chosers.
Caseys Dream
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Caseys Dream »

4.3L Volvo with SX outdrive. Power steering pump is a bit lumpy, but I still love her.
CD
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Older...

Post by Laketrout »

Cancatchbass wrote:I've got an older Johnson- 1993 175HP FastStrike.

LT- I have hour meters on my boat for the main engine and trolling motor. How do you know you have nearly 900 miles on your engine?

CCB
GPS. I bought it after I had the tune up. For some reason my GPS doesn't count the miles when I'm trolling with the small motor.
That milage on my little motor might be way off,I was just guessing at 2mph trolling x daysx hrs. Whiskey lake alone I spent 30 days on,fished at the veryveryvery least 8 hrs a day.April, I fished Salmon every day but one,and seldom used the big motor.
Steve-K
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steve-K »

2002 50hp4ST Johnson. Runs like a charm and starts right away. Also have owned two Yamaha's (15 and 20hp) and they were great too. Both started first pull even after winter storage. Only motor I had bad luck with was a 95 40hp Evinrude 2ST. Thing was a hard starter, rough idler, lots of dollars on repairs. :(
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Motor

Post by Seaweed »

I have a 1995 75hp Mercury two stroke oil injected motor on my Nitro. Runs fine, not too hard on gas, likes her oil, but she is a bitch on props.

Bit smokey on slow troll. Keeps the bugs off though.