Barklay's

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bassman
Participant
Participant

Barklay's

Post by bassman »

I just wanted to mention to anyone who has passed thru Pickering and is aware of Barklay's outdoors store. It's closing after 21 years of busisness. It's first day of sales starts to-day.

I guess this is the just the beginning now that Basspro is in town, sad in a way even though Barklay's prices were a little wack it was still looked at like a mom and pop shop. One down and how many to go.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Not sure this can be blamed on the Bass Pro opening. Could it be it was the "Last Cull" that finally did the boys in? :lol: Just kidding...

I believe they have been hanging on by the fingernails for a number of years now. This is a widespread phenomenon, unfortunately. There are NO tackle shops left in the Kingston/Gananoque area- there used to be anywhere from 3-6 depending on the year. Now we have wally mart and crappie tire- believe it or not, the Gan store stocks saltwater baits. :shock: I asked a clerk why they carry offshore baits. The reply? "For people fishing off shore". :shock:

What I wouldn't give to be within a reasonable distance of Ed's or Crystal's! Those that are should appreciate how good you have it.

CCB
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Hey CCB,
I know of a half decent place to get tackle just outside of k-town. Its got pretty much everything. Do u know where Sydenham is?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Hmmmm...

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Cancatchbass wrote:Not sure this can be blamed on the Bass Pro opening. Could it be it was the "Last Cull" that finally did the boys in? :lol: Just kidding...
CCB
Now that was classic, I roared :!:

Good one Tom :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

A few of use were giving Reno Viola a friendly ribbing about the store. I thought I'd share a few of his words about the store closing.
Boys

This is not a sad day......Barklay's is liquadating after 21 years....and then retiring, there is nothing wrong with that, at all. We at the store are very happy with the situation and please do not think of this as a funeral. After all everybody needs to stop and smell the roses in life. Are all of you going to work forever?

Jay you have such a way with words that every thing sounds negative. Get a grip man. LOL

Markus.....of course you would be looking for the deals....it's you. LOL

The ad is on the Barklay's site so have a look at it.
lostchild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by lostchild »

Went by the sale today and got a couple of deals. Picked up a 55piece Berkley assortment case of plastics for $5 and a 96 piece tube jig kit for I think for $8. I wanted to grab one of the Abu baitcaster reels on for $40 regular $200, they were gone apparently within 10mins of the doors opening, and there was no limit on how many you purchased, one guy grab like 10 of them i heard. I couldn't resist and also bought a berkley cherrywood ultra light rod for $8 and 2 cheapie Southbend rod/reel meduim action combo's for the kids for $8each figured i couldn't go wrong. Didn't stop there on the deals and got myself an insulated camo rain bib for $7 reg $45 and a complete camo rainsuit $6 reg $40 and finally a soft collapsable cooler $5 i think. Quite a few people at the sale and some items sold out by all in all some real good deals to be had, I heard also that they are restocking items and bringing out new ones pretty regularly for the next 6 weeks....here is a link to there flyer!!!

http://www.barklays.com
BENLEGER
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BENLEGER »

wow awesome deals, where is Oshawa from Ottawa how many km's? and what road do i take?

BEN
lostchild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by lostchild »

Barklays is just south of the 401, use Park st. exit, go south and you can't miss it. Oshawa is about 30mins east fo Toronto right off the 401, from Ottawa I would guess about 3-3.5hrs, might not be worth the drive but if you were passing by very easy to get to from 401.
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

wish i lived a bit closer... 2+hrs for a $10. rod or 2, just isn't worth it :lol:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Markus wrote:A few of use were giving Reno Viola a friendly ribbing about the store. I thought I'd share a few of his words about the store closing.
Boys

This is not a sad day......Barklay's is liquadating after 21 years....and then retiring, there is nothing wrong with that, at all. We at the store are very happy with the situation and please do not think of this as a funeral. After all everybody needs to stop and smell the roses in life. Are all of you going to work forever?

Jay you have such a way with words that every thing sounds negative. Get a grip man. LOL

Markus.....of course you would be looking for the deals....it's you. LOL

The ad is on the Barklay's site so have a look at it.
Markus...
Hrrrmm...sounds like a funny business plan to me? Most would sell the business and assets for a profit when they retire...not liquidate stock at a loss? :wink:
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye