Suckers?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Suckers?

Post by Tonyb »

My buddy and I are going to give Suckers a try this spring. I am thinking of the Carp river and Jock river? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks all,
Tony
The bigger, the better!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Suckers?

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Years ago we used to do really well in Fitzroy. Close to the mouth where it dumps into The Ottawa. All we did was a big dew worm and an egg sinker. Heavier the better, and be careful, for the current can be quite strong after the thaw. We got the odd Drum, and channel cat as well.

Hope this helps!

F.F
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

Shore fishing then? That helps a lot, thanks. Drum would be fun ...
The bigger, the better!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

For sure TonyB! We would walk the bank and get as close as we could to the mouth. Years ago on the West side there was a picnic table we would set up on. 3 of us used to go, and we would drift also with out float rods. Though, mostly when current was strong we would bottom bounce with the egg sinker and a big dewie. A dew worm on a #1 octopus hook, and a 1/2-3/4 ounce egg weight. Once you pass over the bridge, head NW down the bank. Again, the current can be fast, so we would stay to any slower water, or if we found any eddies, we would focus there.

F.F
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

Fantastic advice, really helpful. Love Fish-Hawk, you guys have helped me find fish more than a few times.
Sorry to ask,, you are talking the mighty Carp river?
Tony
The bigger, the better!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Yes TonyB Sorry I meant to mention we were fishing The Carp R. We waited for a warm up, though even in colder temps with high water we did find em. The cats and Drum were in warmer temps, but the suckers were a plenty. That being said, we also mainly did an afternoon fish.

Best of luck!!!

F.F
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thank Nation River in the spring anywhere from top to botom is usually reliable for Carp/Suckers/Redhorse/Drum/Catfish.

PM if you think you will make it that far east and I'll provide a couple of spots.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

For a good day of fishing, I surprise myself how far I'll go. Nation river is on the list for sure.
They have Drum there as well I understand, would like to see what they are like as well.

Thanks for the help,
Tony
The bigger, the better!