Ice fishing pop up tents - what’s your preference

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
baitfish
Participant
Participant

Ice fishing pop up tents - what’s your preference

Post by baitfish »

Looking to purchase a pop ice fishing tent - any insight would be great, as there are so many name brands out there...

What’s your fav and why? What brand would you recommend? And why?
Malyon18
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice fishing pop up tents - what’s your preference

Post by Malyon18 »

I have a clam 2000 and have had it several years now. I like the built in floor and the ease of setup and take down. I also like the fact that if you sit in it you don’t have to anchor it down. I also have a clam 6 person hub style pop up, which I haven’t really used but like the 2000 I find the construction is really good, material is nice and thick.

From what I have seen lately most pop ups are extremely similar in setup and take down, I think the big difference comes from what material they are made of. I sat in a buddy’s a few years ago and the material was very similar to what a tent was made of. So if you’re looking for long term you might wanna spend a few more bucks and get something of quality
baitfish
Participant
Participant

Post by baitfish »

Thanks for the info....

Anyone use Eskimo, Frabill, rapala or that new brand “outsunny”.../

Clam looks like a gd build as well

Looking for an insulated 4 person one
baitfish
Participant
Participant

Post by baitfish »

Thanks for the info....

Anyone use Eskimo, Frabill, rapala or that new brand “outsunny”.../

Clam looks like a gd build as well

Looking for an insulated 4 person one
MarkM
Participant
Participant

Post by MarkM »

I have an Eskimo 949I and really like it. I think insulated is the way to go to reduce condensation inside.
The 949I is I believe a 4 man hut but 3 would be starting to get tight.

2 people with a heater, a couple holes inside and all your gear is perfect.
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

I also own an Eskimo 949. I like it, but I really wish it was insulated. I set it up for my family and with two kids and my wife inside with gear and heater, I always end up sitting outside on my own. I think MarkM summed it up perfectly.

I find it is too much bother to setup a popup just for myself, so I bought a two person flip-over this year.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I can vouch for the Eskimo Quickfish 5. My ice partner and I are into the 3rd season with it and it's going strong.
In hind sight we wishing we'd gone for the insulated one to keep condensation down as well the obvious increased warmth on coldest outings.
Also, the anchor lines are cheap (only cheap item) which was easily resolved with some straps from other camping equipment.
Cheers.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Not a flag ship name brand like eskimo and clam but I have the Cabelas insulated wide bottom. I would say its very good quality build - not premium but by no means cheaply made. They are on sale regularly and you can normally get them at least $200 cheaper than the big names. Spend that extra money on any of the other gear you want/"need" comes with a HUGE sack so folding it up and packing it is a breeze. lots of windows and vents etc etc. I would recommend if possible head out there and do a side by side comparison - i found very little difference between the cabelas brand and the big name... the built in sled and seats on the clam are very unique but not a game changer for me.

The pop up hub designs are all pretty similar and with a little buddy heater you will be nice and toasty.

I only have one gripe and thats the colour of the cabelas shelters... the grey blends in TOO well and with the maniacs on snow-rockets blowing by it'd be nice to get a bit more viz like eskimo's bright red.

Ben
Greentrek
Participant
Participant

Post by Greentrek »

I have a Rapala Sherpa & can say its a quality popup shelter for alot cheaper than the $400 & $500 models & its just as good. Made of 300 denier walls with vents & windows all around. And you can stay warm on really cold days. Quite light really. It packs into a bag & has a padded shoulder strap & can carry it easily. No need for a sled. Sleds are nice but its more bulk to take in & out & haul. Just adding that in case you find yourself deciding which way to go-- sled carry or shoulder carry. Theyre cheaper & do a great job. Its a few years old now & still going strong! I hate buying junk so im adding that to my opinion. Mine is a black & grey model; not sure but i checked for you and there's new cool colors. Its a 3 man so its plenty of space for 2 people & gear. Its my winter one room portable cottage on the water lol. Get one-- you won't stop using it!
Never say never.... cuz ya never know.
Ragehunter
Participant
Participant

Post by Ragehunter »

Agree with Greentrek.
I had a Rapala Sherpa for years and loved it. Sets up and takes down easily. Solid hut all around. Can't go wrong with the Rapala Sherpa line of huts.
I'll never apologize for being a hunter (or a fisherman)!
Lakerchaser
Participant
Participant

Post by Lakerchaser »

I have a Rapala Sherpa 3 man tent that I've been using for 6 years now. Its the old style without the wide bottom and its a good tent for 2 guys plus gear.
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

I had the Clam for several years (sorry, I forget the model) and really liked it One of the hubs broke, I wrote them, and they sent me a few of them, no quesitons asked. My only beef was that for some reason, sometimes, it would be a momma-dog to fold up. Now, I have the big, insulated Eskimo. Easier to fold up, anchors are better, but heavier and bulkier. Don't know that the insulated versions are really worth the extra $$, though.