Kingston Rotary Park Tomorrow (March 5)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Kingston Rotary Park Tomorrow (March 5)

Post by scarkner »

Anyone on here from Kingston?

I am going to visit my dad this weekend and wanted to get out on the ice. I know that it isn't great this year, but was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is even possible/safe to fish just off shore in the bay near Rotary Park?

If not, any other suggestions where I could get some ice-time with my dad this weekend in the west end of Kingston?
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Re: Kingston Rotary Park Tomorrow (March 5)

Post by jshow89 »

Pm sent
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Kingston Rotary Park Tomorrow (March 5)

Post by scarkner »

I got out with my dad and was surprised to find 9 inches of ice near shore, tapering down to around 6 inches in 10 feet of water. This was on the edge of a very wide channel and with the ice popping and wheezing we didn't want to venture out much further. I also found some thin spots at just 4 inches.

Much to my surprise (and dissapointment) a bunch of kids who were playing hockey at least 2km away on the other side of the channel saw us fishing and immediately skated accross the channel to see us. There couldn't have been more than a few inches of ice left where they were skating as the channel is fed by a flowing creek and the mouth of the creek was open water. So after explaining to the kids that they need to be more careful (and wondering where the hell their parents were) the kids thanked us... and skated back while yelling "we'll be fine" over their shoulders. Sigh...

Anyway, also to my surprise, despite being in what felt like a really fishy spot, we only caught two perch fishing from around 4:00pm until 5:30pm. The bite was probably just starting and I was just starting to get some nice blips on the fish finder, but my dad (in his 70s) said he was getting cold and we knew a nice hot dinner was waiting, so packed up and left. At least I know where to go next year!

My dads big catch today. Mine was larger than this one, but not by much!