Oh Joy Oh Joy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by lape0019 »

The thing is that everyone has a right to these lakes. If I was not in a tournament, I would still have the right to fish that lake on my own accord. the only difference is that there are a few more boats on the river that day. And if most people check to see if a tournament is on a body of water that weekend, would it not be safe to say that a tournaments dissuade at least half of the same amount of boats that are in said tournament (Keeping in mind that most of the clubs here are small. I could see the shootout series being an exception)?

No matter how you look at it, at this exact time, everyone who wants to be out on a public body of water has the right to be regardless of if it is in a tournament series or not. The only regulations in place that matter is your catch and possession limits. Unless some governing body decides to make meaningful changes to the way tournaments are currently run and bodies of water are selected, there is not much anyone can do about it.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Haulin Bass wrote:I think the BAA tournament was Aug 1 according to their web site. Last week is still a mystery to me. :?:
Last Sat on Muskrat was Valley Bass, a closed club that has been operation up here in the Ottawa Valley for over 20 years. There were only 23 boats.

As an FYI , all Muskrat Lake tournament participants are charged $10 by Whitewater Region to launch on tournament day and the organization hosting the event is required to collect and submit it. It's still a free launch if you're not involved in the tournament.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

you know, I think Haulin Bass could have maybe done a bit better job being diplomatic in what he initially said

that said, look at the responses in this thread. go back and read what RJ wrote. he had some pretty intelligent things to say

maverick used the phrase "personal agenda"....you brought that phrase in to this discussion....so ok, yeah...maybe Haulin Bass has a personal agenda.....but most of the replies are coming from people whose "personal agenda" is directly opposite ...their "personal agenda" is they fish tournaments and will line up to criticize anyone that has something to say against tournament fishing. maverick you can't use that phrase without recognizing that your personal agenda is to fish where you want, when you want, and run around a lake at whatever speed you want (while wake jumping....sorry, I just had to throw that in :D )

I fish the occasional bass tournament. I will end up doing 4 of them this season. So I am not coming at the issue from the perspective of rec versus tourney. But if you don't see and understand that there is some legitimacy to the original post.....then maybe one day in the future you'll be truly blindsided when someone up and takes away your ability to enjoy your "personal agenda"
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

curls wrote:BTW, to those who say/said that Muskrat was a dying lake in terms of big bass - the winning team had over 21 pounds of largies, anchored by a high-5# class fish. And, the average fish was over 3# that day!
Exactly. Many of those large bags in the past came from places like Mud Lake or the Snake River. They did not come from the lake proper. Most events now have these areas an out-of-bounds or idle-only (which makes it very difficult and time consuming). Yet there are still plenty of 19-20 lb bags coming in and seeing a dozen 17+ lb bags isn't a surprise anymore. Many tournaments are now won with sacks of smallmouth, something unheard of until the past couple of years. In addition, modern electronics and GPS have turned Muskrat into one big community hole and no longer do we see a few huge sacks and then a whole bunch of average sacks. Instead we see a whole bunch of really good sacks containing a bunch of quality fish.

The one thing I would like to see is clubs without live-release boats start releasing their fish well away from the launch as is done with the Shootout Series. Many studies using tagged fish show that a good chunk of the the fish will eventually find their way back to where they came from but it might take a week or so to get going, making them subject to being easily caught from the shore and docks around the launch area.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

cprince wrote:While we are at it... can we get rid of the spandexed hemorrhoidal cyclists off our highways? Out here on the QC side, they are almost exclusively Muffy and Biff from The Glebe cycling 2 by 2 up the 105 or 307 yelling about how it is their right to be on the road.

What about those damn planes flying over head? Annoying as fluck and the obviouis mind control chemicals being spewed out cant be good.

Birds. Birds have had a free ride on our properties for far too long. Eating my bugs and leaving nothing but poop behind... attracting perverts with cameras and binoculars...
Raccoons...
You forgot snakes, squirrels and chipmunks :o

Thanks Brad and Beachburger for the info. I'll put them on my tourney list
I will sum it up. Sometimes too many Sometimes too fast Sometimes too reckless.
Last edited by Haulin Bass on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

bradford2 wrote:
I have no issues with the tourney free for all going on in this area. My only thoughts are is that if you kill your fish, take them yourself. Don't stuff them under the dock. Don't pile them beside the scale hoping for someone else to deal with them. If you are unwilling to deal with a fish you killed then you should probably not be fishing :lol:

I answered thing in a early post on this thread...
You must be REALLY bored.. Changing the issue over and over..
Who the hell stuffs dead fish under a dock????
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

ShawnD wrote:
bradford2 wrote:
I have no issues with the tourney free for all going on in this area. My only thoughts are is that if you kill your fish, take them yourself. Don't stuff them under the dock. Don't pile them beside the scale hoping for someone else to deal with them. If you are unwilling to deal with a fish you killed then you should probably not be fishing :lol:

I answered thing in a early post on this thread...
You must be REALLY bored.. Changing the issue over and over..
Who the hell stuffs dead fish under a dock????
Upset much? :D
Not bored at all. We are talking (in a civil manner up till now) about the impact of having a tourney 3 weekends in a row on the same lake. No?
Haha do you think I made that up?
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Mick wrote: maverick used the phrase "personal agenda"....you brought that phrase in to this discussion....so ok, yeah...maybe Haulin Bass has a personal agenda.....but most of the replies are coming from people whose "personal agenda" is directly opposite ...their "personal agenda" is they fish tournaments and will line up to criticize anyone that has something to say against tournament fishing. maverick you can't use that phrase without recognizing that your personal agenda is to fish where you want, when you want, and run around a lake at whatever speed you want
I abide every non-wake zone, I slow down for kayaks/canoes and recreational tubing as well as pontoons and smaller boats, especially when children are aboard.
I always keep a respectable distance from all boats, whether it be a tournament angler or recreational boater, while idling, or fishing stationary.

I do not fish where I want, we respect bird sanctuaries with a no lead rule.
We also ask questions as to off limit fishing prior to every event, next one being the Ottawa River, as posted on the Renegade forum, “Is Lochaber bay off limits” (Ducks unlimited).

Tournament fishing does not equal more sanctions and unjustified taunts, we are no different than any other recreational angler or weekend warrior. It is all but naturally logical that I will try to the best of my knowledge to dissuade the negative impact that such a post would insinuate, on what are fishing fanatics with maybe less of an understanding of the tournament scene.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

not upset at all, I would be if I found a dock with dead fish underneath from a tournament!
But with how you reply to your topic, it's very hard to take you seriously..

Too many Tournaments is bad on any one specific lake... I wished there was one big series that everyone fished with huge prizes and great payouts where everyone is happy
But that'll never happen....

Encourage the ones that take fish care seriously and not only give back to the community but actively care for the lake. (Shore clean up)
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

beachburger wrote:
curls wrote:The one thing I would like to see is clubs without live-release boats start releasing their fish well away from the launch as is done with the Shootout Series. Many studies using tagged fish show that a good chunk of the the fish will eventually find their way back to where they came from but it might take a week or so to get going, making them subject to being easily caught from the shore and docks around the launch area.
So have you watched the shootout series guys release their fish? I have fished 2 shootout events this season and I have watched. At Mississippi what I saw was people releasing their fish for the most part in the river before the bridge. And at Muskrat I saw most fish released on the large flat near the ramp without getting them as far out as the deeper water. I only saw a small sample size at both events, but that is what I saw.

Yes most fish released "eventually find their way back to where they came from but it might take a week or so to get going" but from the research that I have done this week (because renegade fished the miss last week and I am fishing the shootout this week) is that "eventually" is up to a year for largemouth
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

TheMaverick wrote:
Mick wrote: maverick used the phrase "personal agenda"....you brought that phrase in to this discussion....so ok, yeah...maybe Haulin Bass has a personal agenda.....but most of the replies are coming from people whose "personal agenda" is directly opposite ...their "personal agenda" is they fish tournaments and will line up to criticize anyone that has something to say against tournament fishing. maverick you can't use that phrase without recognizing that your personal agenda is to fish where you want, when you want, and run around a lake at whatever speed you want
I abide every non-wake zone, I slow down for kayaks/canoes and recreational tubing as well as pontoons and smaller boats, especially when children are aboard.
I always keep a respectable distance from all boats, whether it be a tournament angler or recreational boater, while idling, or fishing stationary.

I do not fish where I want, we respect bird sanctuaries with a no lead rule.
We also ask questions as to off limit fishing prior to every event, next one being the Ottawa River, as posted on the Renegade forum, “Is Lochaber bay off limits” (Ducks unlimited).

Tournament fishing does not equal more sanctions and unjustified taunts, we are no different than any other recreational angler or weekend warrior. It is all but naturally logical that I will try to the best of my knowledge to dissuade the negative impact that such a post would insinuate, on what are fishing fanatics with maybe less of an understanding of the tournament scene.
maverick

when I said "where I want" I meant bodies of water. Certainly wasn't accusing you of fishing sanctuaries, off limits etc. Apologies if you thought that is what I meant. from what I have witnessed, tourney guys are all very respectful of those types of regs
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Mick wrote:So have you watched the shootout series guys release their fish? I have fished 2 shootout events this season and I have watched. At Mississippi what I saw was people releasing their fish for the most part in the river before the bridge. And at Muskrat I saw most fish released on the large flat near the ramp without getting them as far out as the deeper water. I only saw a small sample size at both events, but that is what I saw.
I've fished lots of Shootout Series events and before that many SEBOs. On Muskrat and Miss what you state is pretty much what happens but I'm not not sure what your point is. The fish are released nowhere near casting distance from shore which was point I making.
Mick wrote:Yes most fish released "eventually find their way back to where they came from but it might take a week or so to get going" but from the research that I have done this week (because renegade fished the miss last week and I am fishing the shootout this week) is that "eventually" is up to a year for largemouth
As to how long it takes for a released fish to find it's way back, here are a couple recent studies done on waters very close to us and have heavy tournament activity. The Bassmaster one is the slideshow of the NH study using maps to show the locations. There is little doubt that some largemouth might take a year to get home but there are also many that get there much sooner. Feel free to provide us with links to some of your research.

http://www.lakechamplaincommittee.org/l ... urnaments/
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing ... dates.html
http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/how ... er-release
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

I understand the importance of releasing fish throughout the lake but I think we are splitting hairs here. The important thing is that proper care is being taken during the weigh process and that they are actually being released. I would rather have a live release tournament on my lake than the handful of Hillbilly derbies there are each spring and summer where they kill all the fish because the weigh in is at a local legion or community centre.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

I wanted to put my two cents in on what I think about tournament fishing (and yes, I fish tournaments, and I take the best care possible of my fish:)

The bottom line is that the catch and release/conservation mindset in angling today is primarily due to the successful tournaments first from the US and then in Canada, when Catch and Release was really first instilled into the sport.

Anyone ignorant to that simple fact needs to open up Google and do some research on the early beginnings of B.A.S.S.:

"1972 - B.A.S.S. holds the first catch-and-release tournament, the Florida National, on Lake Kissimmee. The event is won by Tom Mann."

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/bass-his ... -timeline#

The reality is that it is actually DUE to tournament fishing that we have some of the healthiest fisheries in the world today as well as some of the most educated anglers in the entire world as well. There may be heavy pressure on lakes, but who is to say this would not be the case without tournaments, and who is to say what other hypothetical issues could arise. It's redundant, being all hypothetical and with the reality that tournaments aren't going away.

On that note, I'm fishing the Franny this weekend and can't wait to set a new PB for Smallmouth. I'm gunning for a 6 lb'er, hoping to make it happen.

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

lape0019 wrote:The thing is that everyone has a right to these lakes. If I was not in a tournament, I would still have the right to fish that lake on my own accord. the only difference is that there are a few more boats on the river that day. And if most people check to see if a tournament is on a body of water that weekend, would it not be safe to say that a tournaments dissuade at least half of the same amount of boats that are in said tournament (Keeping in mind that most of the clubs here are small. I could see the shootout series being an exception)?

No matter how you look at it, at this exact time, everyone who wants to be out on a public body of water has the right to be regardless of if it is in a tournament series or not. The only regulations in place that matter is your catch and possession limits. Unless some governing body decides to make meaningful changes to the way tournaments are currently run and bodies of water are selected, there is not much anyone can do about it.
I understand the need to defend tournaments from the guys who fish em 100%. As someone who has done them in the past I'm kinda able to stand back and be objective I think.

What you are failing to account for Adam is the leadup to an event...Teams are routinely prefishing 4 to 5 days before the tournament with often times two boats on the water per team. I swung by the ramp at the Miss on the Fri before a tournament last week and at 7 AM on the day before event there was 27 boats at the ramp. I had a buddy message me today asking if there was a tournament on the Ottawa today due to the number of trailers at the ramp, that's 8 days from the next tournament.

Yes, I get it. It's crown water. I'd just hope at some point common sense may come in to play. I was told today that in the past 3 weeks there have been 5 tournaments on the Lower Ottawa and another this weekend and another next. That's nuts.

RJ

P.S. Some may say I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here due to our Megabucks event in Oct. We designed that tournament to have minimal affect on the fishery. Last year a total of 31 fish came to the scale. If some needed to be fizzed I would do it right there at the dock. If any were in trouble they would be put in my livewell in my boat at the dock pumped with fresh water until ready to go. All of this is in place but we've yet to put any of those practices in play because we've never needed to with the fish that have come to the scales.