Kamloops BC HELP!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Kamloops BC HELP!!!

Post by scarkner »

I am heading to B.C. next week for a family vacation that includes a few days in Vancouver, Kamloops and Banff. I was really looking forward to fly-fishing in Kamloops with a guide.

But there are NO GUIDES in Kamloops (not kidding!) Apparently the only one closed shop a few years ago, the visitor center in Kamloops says I have to drive an hour or more to find a guide.

Does anyone have a friend or relative in Kamloops able to take myself and two kids out fishing? Ideally in the river itself (wading, fly fishing and spin-cast for the kids) or out on the lake itself (fishing is apparently slow on the lake at this time of year). I am happy to figure out a compensation method that wouldn't violate any guiding license requirements, laws, etc.

Thanks!!!
NorthernGuy
Participant
Participant

Re: Kamloops BC HELP!!!

Post by NorthernGuy »

Gosh I am jealous! We probably all are haha!

I really hope you find someone!

Let us know how it went! When I was in Kamloops I was pretty much dreaming to fish there! Good luck!
Born to Fish…Forced to Work!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I am just going through my gear tonight, hard to decide what to take since I have pretty much a matchbox-sized tackle box. Plus any lures (for the kids) have to be converted to single barbless hooks. I am surprised how many of my favourite lures can't be converted (no rings on the hooks).

I have been trying to find out if there are small fish for kids to go after (our equivalent of the ubiquitous perch/sunfish) but there doesn't seem to be. Should be interesting.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I don't know anyone in Kamloops, but will you have access to a small boat or even a canoe? There are LOADS of lakes around Kamloops where you could get into bows on the fly if you could get away from the shoreline.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

No, there really isn't anything like sunfish in that area. The closest would probably be Northern Pikeminnow, which are considered a coarse fish but they can be found in most of the larger river systems. Most of the lakes in the area will focus on rainbows, either stocked or wild strain. Fly fishing is the best option BY FAR, but if you are taking gear, I'd go with really small spoons or even some flatfish type lures. Spinning equipment would be better than bait casting and you'll likely want to go light line and mono. The water out there is usually very clear and the bows can be line shy, especially in the lakes that get a fair amount of pressure.