Great Feedback from Ottawa Sportsman Show!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great Feedback from Ottawa Sportsman Show!

Post by RJ »

Thanks to all at the Ottawa Sportsman Show who took the time to offer some feedback on Luke and I taking over the site. The support and enthusiasm for the site was great to hear. It makes our decision easy hearing from so many people that they still see FH as one of their daily routines.

The overwhelming theme from 95% of the conversations that took place revolved around what folks termed as "pot stirrers", "trouble makers" or "keyboard warriors". Amazed how many people who remarked that they'd post but are reluctant due to the nonsense that can ensue unchecked.

What did we learn? That it's clearly an issue. One that we have already begun to address. One user is already on a 30 day holiday as a result.

We want to take FH to the next level. To make it a site where you can all come to learn a few things, make a few new fishin' buddies and be entertained reading about all our passion, Fishing.

More announcements coming soon regarding changes to the site.

Thanks for hanging with us.

RJ and Luke
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Great Feedback from Ottawa Sportsman Show!

Post by lape0019 »

RJ,

I went by the Pirate cove booth on Saturday to say hi but I think you were done for the day. I did talk to Bobby for a bit and saw tonnes of familiar faces.

The kids got a kick out of your Gar and enjoyed your slideshow. I was stuck there for five minutes watching it.

As said by the others and confirmed by my post count, Fish-Hawk is also part
of my daily routine. I would have missed it if it had shut down.

I think you guys are doing a great job with the site so far and it is nice to see a lot of the old guard posting again.

If there was one thing I miss from the site before the crash, it is the "everything new" forum that basically was a running tally of all posts instead of a few posts on the home page.

I'm sure you guys have some great ideas so can't wait to hear what they are.

Adam
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sorry I missed you Adam. Birdee and I had a wedding to get to in the afternoon. It's too bad as the show was really hoppin' when I had to leave.

RJ
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

95% "pot stirrers", "trouble makers" or "keyboard warriors" .....

I'm guessing the other 5% is me talking about my beef with QUINTE !!! Curse those massive red marks that never bite!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:The overwhelming theme from 95% of the conversations that took place revolved around what folks termed as "pot stirrers", "trouble makers" or "keyboard warriors". Amazed how many people who remarked that they'd post but are reluctant due to the nonsense that can ensue unchecked.
Precisely what I have been espousing from way back, to get away from this so called funny bs. Humour is great, tastefully applied... Chirping can be funny as hell too sometimes between friends and competitors. But even I am astonished that the feedback to Rob was 95%. So much for drama. Most of us have enough to deal with in real life, without having to deal with any online crap. That's not why we come here. It's to have our own little bit of a place to go and feel good, while chatting, learning and sharing in our common lifestyles. An interesting place that makes you feel good and hopefully want to participate in. After all, that's what a forum is about to me. Not just reading. That's what attracts new membership.
lape0019 wrote:If there was one thing I miss from the site before the crash, it is the "everything new" forum that basically was a running tally of all posts instead of a few posts on the home page.
Couldn't agree more Adam. That would help the visit. I found it quite handy.

On a side note, I'd also like to see more participation in the hunting forums, but it's mostly quiet. So be it.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Great to see all the great Boat packages at the show. Now if I could only afford a new boat, I'd be golden. Good to speak with you RJ, back online :)
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Its was great seeing you at the boat show RJ.

Smitty55, I'm happy to see you're turning a new leaf, let's not go back on the pass. :)

As for everyone else, (I can think of about 3-4 other guys on here) it's clear to me that times are changing...
So play nice or go play somewhere else...

Look at the past month, we've had more then a handful of new members, :handgestures-thumbupright:
Let's keep the content positive and act our age..

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

I could definitely see that 95% of the conversation revolved about that. Its seems to be a topic of conversation when I talk about FH that's for sure. It definitely prevents me from posting more. Problem is I find tone can be taken wrong on the internet and people forget this is the internet. I have written a bunch of responses but ended up deleting them because I figured it wasn't worth it because of certain members here (probably one that's on vaction (FM)).
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

PMac wrote:Great to see all the great Boat packages at the show. Now if I could only afford a new boat, I'd be golden. Good to speak with you RJ, back online :)
Finally, another cranker on the Board. Great to see you here Mr Mac. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

PMac wrote:Great to see all the great Boat packages at the show. Now if I could only afford a new boat, I'd be golden. Good to speak with you RJ, back online :)
Right on!
A welcoming wealth of knowledge, great addition to the site.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

I’ve come to realize over the last year, that regardless if many Fish-Hawk members know me outside of the forum, that my colorful keyboard strokes are easily misinterpreted.

I’ve also noticed that a “non-fishing” section generates personal opinions and heated debates, and those are generally the threads that get out of hand.

I have rarely seen any arguments in regards to fishing related subjects other than the occasional “High end gear threads” or “The Prescott Chronicles” ;)

As we’re on the subject of feedback, it makes it harder for new members to participate when reading comments like “This site is not what it used to be”. I also question where the majority are when it comes to welcoming new members in the introduce yourself posts.

Food for thought, threads/views;

Bait casters - 2102 views
Well, Shimano is winning me over again - 5154 views
13 fishin’s new concept Baitcast - 2299 views
Chatterbaits, who uses them - 2510 views
Best daiwa for jerkbaits - 3977 views
So what are you guys looking forward to trying this year - 9029 views
So what did Santa bring you - 1759 views

That’s a considerable amount of generated traffic and views for a forum.
There is no way those views are shared by roughly the same group of members (you know who you are).

Fish-Hawk can be much more than reports and modified background pics.
G2G are a great initiative.
Contests are always a welcoming site for both old and new members.
The after work friendly tourneys are always fun.
Affiliations to freelance web writers could be beneficial for the forum and feature Fish-Hawk weekend warriors, there are a few great ones out there, and after all, it’s a new start for everyone!

Positive criticism…

The site is in good hands, I trust RJ, Luke and Craig’s judgment when it comes to what’s best for the forum.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

One of the biggest issues that this site has, and has had for a long time is not JUST the pot stirring guys. YES... they have been hiding behind the rules on this site, but with the new approach we have, you are going to see people get turfed for just being a jerk!! (LOVE IT!)

The other big problem is the ones who get offended by anything and everything. The ones who bit¢h about anything and everything. A little like the middle child in the back seat of the car on a long road trip! "Waaaannnh... He's looking at me funny.." or "Waaaanh... he pointed at me..." or "Waaaanh... he's being mean to me for not sharing any fishing spots"...

It never ends.

Seriously. STFU!!!

Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right.

Here is a the kicker.. the ones that bit¢h and moan the most never... NEVER post reports. NEVER!!!!

What has to stop is people pulling apart fishing reports and simple fishing questions. The minute someone starts to criticize how someone is holding their fish, or someone answers "Get off your a$s and go look" to a question about ramp conditions or ice conditions, GONE! Go away!

We don't want you!!

If someone posts in the Non-Fishing section about an opinion about ramp etiquette or asking about how to hold a fish... have at it in a respectful manner.

My 2¢
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

lape0019 wrote:RJ,

If there was one thing I miss from the site before the crash, it is the "everything new" forum that basically was a running tally of all posts instead of a few posts on the home page.

Adam

If you guys click 'NEWS' (menu on the left), it doesn't do the same thing as 'EVERYTHING NEW' ? Lines up all the newest posts (from all sections) for me.

E
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

No,

It just brings me back to the home page. "everything New" was basically a running list of all posts and there were multiple pages instead of just the 14 most recent threads.

It probably had over 100 threads on the page.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Smitty,

It was the overwhelming theme of the conversations. Yes what Craig points out is correct, we hope to find those jabs before you feel that need to point it out to us. If the jabs never come EVEN BETTER!

I can tell you this. LOTS of people read this site, from the newbie to angling to weekend warriors all the way to the biggest names in the fishing industry today. You'd likely be shocked who reads the site.

Mav,

Trust me over the years the worst arguments happen in Fishing Talk. They're usually squelched pretty quick, and will be moving forward.

Those views you are referring to are from EVERY time you go back and look at the thread. Yes they certainly drive traffic and every one of those threads is great content, the type of stuff we all want on here.

We are looking at lots of stuff moving forward that we hope you'll all like.

Lape,

We are preliminary stages of deciding what needs to be on the main page. One thing we know it will have is a featured report section for fishing reports. Highlighting those who take the time to report on FH. Not sure the logistics of having that type of listing on the main page, to me it looks overly cluttered there as it is.

We never want anyone to feel intimidated to post on here, ever. That is our goal.

RJ