Hard water or soft?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Hard water or soft?

Post by swampdonkey »

figured I'd get everyone's opinion as to what they prefer, myself I pound the ice for anything that swims but by far the bass boat takes the cake for me
Attachments
IMG_20140926_165926.jpg
IMG_20140926_165926.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 4004 times
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Hard water or soft?

Post by ShawnD »

Count me in for the soft water action, can't wait for spring to get here and put the boat in the water for the first time. :D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Soft water for sure. Probably due to me not ice fishing growing up (try ice fishing in Vancouver, I dare ya!). Nothing like being out in the boat or even casting from a dock or the bank. Ice fishing is fun but I see it as something to do when you can't hit the open water.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

--/
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
bikeguy92
Participant
Participant

Post by bikeguy92 »

I love being out in the boat so soft water is definitely the best. This is the first year of ice fishing for me, not sure if I like it yet.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Soft water for sure! I am not to sure of this ice fishing thing. I don't care how thick the ice is, you would be hard pressed to get me out there. I know Lvace is sure trying hard..
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

The force is strong with the Soft side.......I just don't get the ice thing :?

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

All of the above. A fish is a fish is a fish...
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Soft water for sure! I am not to sure of this ice fishing thing. I don't care how thick the ice is, you would be hard pressed to get me out there. I know Lvace is sure trying hard..

I'm just a .............. What is it that the missionary guy calls us ?

You never walk on ice. You do like Sid. The Continental Drift ...

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

When I was younger and able to move more easily I loved to to out on "Hard Water" in Kemptville area.Fond memories of walking in hip deep snow single file with my "Buds" to get out to the "Catch-all" for Walleye.Ice was 30" or more back then in winter. Heck we were ice fishing by Nov/11th!(Back in the 70's)LOTS of Walters back then made it worth the trip.We were only ones with shack there for years,but,soon our "Honey Hole" was discovered and there were up to a dozen huts in a 100 yard area and everyone was was taking their count1 Bye,Bye, Walleye.Now a days it's "Soft water" for this "Old Guy".Much easier on the bod.Nicer weather,less effort. But,sometimes........
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

but,soon our "Honey Hole" was discovered and there were up to a dozen huts in a 100 yard area and everyone was was taking their count1 Bye,Bye, Walleye.Now a days it's "Soft water" for this "Old Guy".Much easier on the bod.Nicer weather,less effort. But,sometimes........
it's the whole monkey see monkey do concept I guess happens to me all the time when fishing in the summer, someone running down the lake or river...looks over...sees a bass boat and makes a sharp right ha! cuts you off like no one's business, I mean no one owns the water but it seems like the respect has been lost when it comes to giving another angler his room. It's just a huge free for all these days hahaha
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

On the tournament trail, most anglers will respect and exhibit great sportsmanship when it comes to considerable fishing distance.

But then again, you always get that one team…the one who’s name is on all the trophies! (at least that’s what he told us lol).

We were fishing this one isolated hump in 15’ FOW, smack down the middle of the lake on tournament day.
We’ve seen this one boat zooming in on our location, coming in full throttle, we never thought he’d stop, we were wrong.

He literally stopped within casting distance, couldn’t believe it, but didn’t make much of it and kept on fishing.
We then landed a decent 3lbs smallie, fighting the fish at the front of the boat, I couldn’t throttle the electric motor.
We slowly drifted away as I was handling the fish to only see this other boat slowly make their way over this hump.

As we moved our way back after netting, weighing and culling, we exchanged a few sarcastic pleasantries with the other boat.
That’s when he said, “don’t you know who I am, my name is on every trophy”, before leaving he made sure to go all out and floor the hot foot.

Moral of the story, sportsmanship and respect will take you a long way, word is this team is well known in regards to the lack of respect they exuberate on the tournament scene.

Karma!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

TheMaverick wrote:
Moral of the story, sportsmanship and respect will take you a long way, word is this team is well known in regards to the lack of respect they exuberate on the tournament scene.

Karma!

the classic anything goes mind state when fishing a tournament. those are the types that tourney morning before take off walk around with their head up their bassh*le while everyone else is shooting the bull and having a good time! most don't realize that just cause its a tourney doesn't mean they have to mix competition with arrogance! just like the late Bob Bird ** rest his soul** would always talk to us no matter if he was out for fun or competing along with us! lately guys get so close you could almost walk onto their boat
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Hard or soft, fish it all and love every minute of it. Each has their pros and cons but if I had to go half the year without fishing I'd be one depressed camper. Get a tent and a heater and some of the best fish of the year can be had through the ice!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Hard or soft, fish it all and love every minute of it. Each has their pros and cons but if I had to go half the year without fishing I'd be one depressed camper. Get a tent and a heater and some of the best fish of the year can be had through the ice!
100% agreed there ....make sure you peg your tent down and ya you proved the best fish part this weekend

2 giant lakers to nothing.... for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: