Provincial Bait Policy Review

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Provincial Bait Policy Review

Post by Lunker Larry »

A provincial bait policy review is underway this year. A policy regarding the use and angler movement of bait (including baitfish) has been posted on the EBR for public comment / review. See details below.

RE: Provincial Bait Policy Review

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF)(notice the name change) is seeking public comment on policy options associated with:

· Angler use and movement of bait in Ontario; and

· Use and harvest of bait in provincial parks and conservation reserves.

The purpose of the provincial bait policy review is to determine how the ecological risks associated with the use and movement of bait (i.e. baitfish and leeches) can be minimized to help maintain healthy fisheries and aquatic ecosystems, while reducing the complexity of current management regimes and providing business certainty to the bait industry.

The harvest and use of live bait in Ontario has and continues to be an important aspect of fishing in Ontario. However, the movement of live bait also involves ecological risks related to the spread of diseases and invasive species that pose risks to Ontario’s fisheries, provincial parks and conservation reserves, and biodiversity.

The following goals have been established to guide the provincial bait policy review:

1) Bait is managed to protect the health of aquatic ecosystems.

2) Sustainable use of bait resources enhances the quality of life for Ontarians by providing recreational, social and economic benefits.

3) Bait is managed to conserve the resource and maintain a viable bait industry.

4) Bait management is adaptable, effective, consistent across the province and simple to implement.

More information regarding the provincial bait policy review can be found in an Information Notice posted on the Environmental Registry (EBR Registry Number: 012-1043) on February 12, 2014. http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Extern ... anguage=en

There are 5 topics being addressed by the policy review: 1) Angler Use and Movement; 2) Parks and Protected Areas; 3) Commercial Sale and Transport; 4) Allocation; and 5) Reporting. At this time we are seeking input on the range of policy options being considered specifically for the first two topics.

1) The Management of Angler Use and Movement of Bait in Ontario:

a. The type of bait anglers are allowed to use (e.g., limited number of species)

b. The scale at which anglers can move bait, such as limiting movement to a specific region, to the Fisheries Management Zone(s) (FMZ), or within a watershed;

c. Angler’s ability to store bait (e.g., angler’s use of bait buckets and cribs) in lakes, rivers and streams

d. Ability of anglers to harvest their own bait

e. Use of bait in defined sensitive areas (e.g., brook trout lakes, Arctic watershed)

2) The Use and Harvest of Bait in Ontario Parks and Conservation Reserves:

a. The use of commercial bait for angling

b. The use of personally harvested bait for angling

c. Commercial harvest of bait

d. Storage of commercially harvested bait

e. A timeline for phasing out commercial bait harvest in protected areas where this activity is not allowed

To provide feedback on the range of policy options, two Policy Proposal Notices related to the above two topics of the policy review were posted on the Environmental Registry on November 5, 2014. Please search for registry numbers: 012-2835 (Use and Harvest of Bait in Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves) and 012-2836 (Angler Use and Movement of Bait in Ontario). http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Extern ... anguage=en

The postings will be available for comment until December 19th 2014.If you have any questions regarding these postings or the provincial bait policy review please contact bait@ontario.ca.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Provincial Bait Policy Review

Post by smitty55 »

Good to know.Tks for posting.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I have been following this VERY closely! Thanks for posting Larry! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

interesting, personally I dont use leeches but I will occasionally use minnows in the winter, I was just out trapping some today. I wouldnt have a problem if they implemented a province wide baitfish ban if it would help the fishery. (thats a big if though because Iam not sure moving baitfish lake to lake is the biggest issue right now) It would suck for the baitshops and trappers of course but I think its the way things are headed. And it wont be the end of the world either, lots of places have no live bait regs in place.
Bronze Participant

Post by karma »

I believe Quebec has a no live minnow rule in effect. I understand that even if you launch on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River with live minnows and then get caught fishing with them on the Quebec side of the river you can be charged.
Lawrence Gunther
Founder - Blind Fishing Boat
Host - The Blue Fish Radio Show
and Feel the Bite TV
President - Blue Fish Canada
Web: http://www.LawrenceGunther.com
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

karma wrote:I believe Quebec has a no live minnow rule in effect. I understand that even if you launch on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River with live minnows and then get caught fishing with them on the Quebec side of the river you can be charged.
You're correct Lawrence. Even enforced on the QC side of the Ottawa. Ontario and Quebec MNRs are discussing but I think in order to prevent the spread of invasive species and disease it will eventually become law here.