Walleye fishing near Cardinal

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
AZx
Participant
Participant

Walleye fishing near Cardinal

Post by AZx »

I am planning on taking my son out Walleye fishing this coming weekend on the St. Lawrence near Cardinal.

I think I have an idea of where to get started based on some previous posts.

One question I could us some advice on however. Is there a good early morning and evening bite or is one typically better than the other? I have never fished the St. Lawrence before so I would like to plan on preferred time of day to increase the odds.

Thanks.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Walleye fishing near Cardinal

Post by riverdog »

There is walleye still biting in & around Cardinal. Once you come out of the canal from the launch you can go east or west...I prefer west myself. You can go west all the way up to where the canal dumps back in & drift jig or you can troll some guys are running worm harness in front of Casco (the big factory) 27ft of water. Best of luck.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

Walleye bite this year is Slooooow to say the least.Early morning (6-8 am),middle of day(10am-2 pm) not bad,then again last couple hours into dark also good. Bring lots of bug juice though.Mosquitoes out for Blood!Neither trolling or Jigging seems to matter. Good Luck.
jvd-07
Participant
Participant

Post by jvd-07 »

I've been out early morning and in the evening this past week in Cardinal and noticed a lot more boats out in the morning. We also had more luck in the morning but started to slow around 9 or 10am. But then again we talked to people on the water the other night that "couldn't keep them out of the boat" as they raised up 3 nice walleye
AZx
Participant
Participant

Post by AZx »

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

riverdog wrote:There is walleye still biting in & around Cardinal. Once you come out of the canal from the launch you can go east or west...I prefer west myself. You can go west all the way up to where the canal dumps back in & drift jig or you can troll some guys are running worm harness in front of Casco (the big factory) 27ft of water. Best of luck.
Would you tell me where the launch place is? Is this a public boat launch spot and how launch condition it is? Thanks.
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

Launch is by Legion in Cardinal.It's able to handle two boats at a time providing some fool isn't parked in middle of it getting his rig ready to go out!!Etiquette my friends.Ramp is concrete.There is Ample parking and its FREE!!!So Far!Be safe out on water!!
AZx
Participant
Participant

Post by AZx »

This should help with the launch location;

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.7855106, ... a=!3m1!1e3

You can also see the nautical charts of the area free of charge at http://www.navionics.com/en
Select the WebApp.

BTW, we did alright today so thanks again for the advice. My son was thrilled with his first eyes of the season.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Thanks. I may go there sometime this summer to check it out.