trout release

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
toddc
Participant
Participant

trout release

Post by toddc »

does any one know what tim e of the year the mnr release the trout in the stocked lakes?
cja
Participant
Participant

Re: trout release

Post by cja »

That would be on Dec15
toddc
Participant
Participant

Post by toddc »

cja wrote:That would be on Dec15
thanks for the reply, trying to find a lake that may have some decent trout, anything releaseed in 2013 would be real small i guess.. I figured out actually asking someone where to go is taboo.lol
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Last year we talked with the MNR and asked the same question he told us they do it in the fall-winter and they also don't count out the fish it goes by weight. I find if you hit lakes that are close to roads they have smaller fish max size 8-10 inches compared to a 1-2 hour treck you get trout in the 2-4lb range
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL!

Was it a "Brown" trout release?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

In England (lots of family and where mine is from) "releasing a brown trout" is a term for....well....

That's cool. I hadn't realized they did this this time of year. I'd imagine the lakes up there are pretty frozen over.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Oh ?
The FISH truck and that yellow helicopter have been sighted in May and June as well.
They ain't quite as punctual as say the Easter bunny or Saint Nick. ;)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Russell Hillier
Participant
Participant

Post by Russell Hillier »

The FISH truck and that yellow helicopter have been sighted in May and June as well.
I second that. I passed by a stocked trout creek in Lanark during late May a few years ago, and it was swarming with small brookies easily visible from the culvert that crossed the road. Unfortunately they don't last long once they are dumped in.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

The OFS has a stocking program which I run so I know quite a bit about this (although we haven't done any for a couple of years since Thistle closed). MNR stocks almost all of its trout in April. They prefer to stock in the winter but they rarely get any fish during that time. It all depends on the cycles at the hatcheries. Sometimes they have to clear out a pool and then some become available which has to be shared by all the jurisdictions. The preference for a winter stocking is based on warm water species such as bass being dormant (if they happen to be in the lake) giving them more time to acclimatize. Spring stocking has to take place while the lake water is cool and the same temperature as the water in the delivery truck. There shouldn't be a variation more than 2C so it is a bit tricky.

They have been cross breeding and doing whatever they can to increase the size at stocking time to give them the best possible chance of surviving predation (also from jerks who keep these small fish too!!). It would be nice for all concerned if people would safely return these 5-7 inch trout and move to another area so we can possibly have some second year fish to catch. I've noticed that older fish are harder and harder to find these past few years.
bobfly
toddc
Participant
Participant

Post by toddc »

bobfly wrote:The OFS has a stocking program which I run so I know quite a bit about this (although we haven't done any for a couple of years since Thistle closed). MNR stocks almost all of its trout in April. They prefer to stock in the winter but they rarely get any fish during that time. It all depends on the cycles at the hatcheries. Sometimes they have to clear out a pool and then some become available which has to be shared by all the jurisdictions. The preference for a winter stocking is based on warm water species such as bass being dormant (if they happen to be in the lake) giving them more time to acclimatize. Spring stocking has to take place while the lake water is cool and the same temperature as the water in the delivery truck. There shouldn't be a variation more than 2C so it is a bit tricky.

They have been cross breeding and doing whatever they can to increase the size at stocking time to give them the best possible chance of surviving predation (also from jerks who keep these small fish too!!). It would be nice for all concerned if people would safely return these 5-7 inch trout and move to another area so we can possibly have some second year fish to catch. I've noticed that older fish are harder and harder to find these past few years.
I agree with you 100%. That was the main reason I was asking about the stocking times ,so as to target some of the larger fish.