Sunglasses for fishing advice?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Sunglasses for fishing advice?

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has a specific pair or brand of sunglasses they use for fishing, I e done some research I understand it's best to have a pair of interchangeable polarized glasses. With tan/copper and a grey lens. What is everyone using?

I'm narrowed down to 4

Maui Jim ikaika
Maui Jim bamboo forest

Oakley pitbull
Oakley radar lock

Any suggestions of what you guys are using? Not really concerned with price as I know how vital and important they are lol...
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Sunglasses for fishing advice?

Post by StarTzar »

Finally, someone that mentions no concern for price.

I purchased Oakley Half Jacket style with Shallow Blue Polarized lens. For me, polarized lens is an absolute must.
Going on four years old and still in excellent shape. I wear them all the time... fishing and driving.
Excellent glasses and extremely comfortable.

If I was getting another pair today, I'd probably go for the RadarLock style. More protection from side angle.
I do not like a full jacket type frame like the PitBull style. Matter of preference.

I can't comment on the Maui. Never used or seen those.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I love my pair of MJ and the customer service is second to none. If you're fishing in lots of bright light situations the grey lenses are good, otherwise the amber lens are a better choice.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bassassins »

Had great success with our Maui Jim's as well! Great glasses and super comfortable.
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Been more then happy with my Oakley Customs.
I purchased the Split Jackets, the switchlock interchangeable lens mechanism is an added feature that I appreciate. I can switch out lenses accordingly to better suit light situations.

2-3 weeks delivery, customizable from A to Z. ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Being that I rely on these glasses about 130 days a year on the water and on the ice I've tried loads. My eyes just can't take exposed sunlight anymore.

Costa Del Mar's are the real deal for me.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Both Maui Jim and Oakley have great glasses. I have used them both and prefer the Oakley's.

I currently have the fishing specific straight jackets with shallow blue iridium polarized lenses. The frame does not allow any light in behind the lens which lowers the amount of glare behind the lens and makes for a clearer view.

I also have a pair of Revo slim guide glasses with the water lens. Water beads off of them like nothing and leaves no water marks. but they are nowhere near as comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

The Maui Jim's I had were the mj sport glasses with ruby lenses. They cut the glare but again, I prefer the Oakleys. I have had the straight jackets for a few years and haven't found anything better.

If you want to learn a bit more about what goes into the fishing specific Oakleys, head to their website. They explain it quite well.

I am sure you will be happy with either brand you have mentioned so good luck.

Adam.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Also, even with a good pair of polarized sunglasses, a good fishing cap with a black underside will cut down glare even more.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Maybe look into 'Solar Bat' as well. :wink:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

Two brands that I really think are great value are Numa and Vigor. I like the lens of the Numa they fit a little tighter.
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

TheMaverick wrote:Been more then happy with my Oakley Customs.
I purchased the Split Jackets, the switchlock interchangeable lens mechanism is an added feature that I appreciate. I can switch out lenses accordingly to better suit light situations.

2-3 weeks delivery, customizable from A to Z. ;)
Got a pair of Custom Split Jackets with two sets of Polarized lenses for different lighting situations as well

Also have a pair of X-Squared

The only lenses I trust to put on my eyes for fishing are Oakleys, Ray Ban, Oliver People and Maui Jims.

I'm really sensitive to lens distortion and the above brands have excellent optics. I've worked in the eye glasses industry for more than 6 years and I've seen some really crappy stuff being sold. My only gripe with Maui Jim is that they don't make cooler looking stuff, their optics are excellent!
nanookofnj
Participant
Participant

Post by nanookofnj »

Unlike Oakley's(one year), Smith's are guaranteed for life and have as wide an assortment.

Prefer them to O's.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

+1 for Oakleys, I've been using them for years and they have always been good to me. Next season I hope to pick up a pair of Costas to see how they stack up against the Oakleys, I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

nanookofnj wrote:Unlike Oakley's(one year), Smith's are guaranteed for life and have as wide an assortment.

Prefer them to O's.
Those are good ones! I used to have nothing but when I was into skiing.

Wonder what happened to those glasses... I put them somewhere in my Crown Vic in '98... aint seen them since!!

Craig