Thanksgiving Fishing Report - Oct 14,2013

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanksgiving Fishing Report - Oct 14,2013

Post by Superdad »

Well, we had the family dinner on Saturday and celebrated early birthdays, and the weather promised light winds, so Laker John & I decided to hit the waters of Zone 3 (according to MNR Fall Fishing survey) and after picking up the boat and launching, we had the rods in the water by 0920.

The "light" winds were kicking up 3 footers, so after a pass over the preferred area, we headed for some lee and found some deep water and set the rods again, using a 4 rod set-up with one rod using 3 colours lead core. We trolled around and on the down-wind troll, the flag was funny and it went back and forth, must be a fish!!!!

Sure enough, we dragged a 13 inch SM Bass from over 35' of water, with the lead core and a Husky Jerk, a quick flip and it was over the side. The wind had switched and was calming down as the sun broke through, so we headed back to the preferred area and set the rods again.

We had hardly got the fourth rod set and the outer board fired, Laker John was into a fish. He brought the fish to the boat and it dove like crazy right at the boat, not fighting like a walleye, It wasn't!!!!

I slipped the net under the fish and fought the slime and the tangled net as the pike wiggled and squirmed. A quick photo, a measure (for the Survey) and a visit to the Rapala Scales and it was overboard for the fish.

Well, that was exciting, set the rod back out and settled back and the other outer board fired. I was into a nice fish. As we drifted towards the shore, the lead core caught the bottom, now we were in a pickle!!!!!

Laker John slipped the net under the fish and after the usual procedures(Weight,scales, length) the fish was returned to the water. Now, we had to retreive the leadcore board as the line had broken. The board was floating out there with the lure attached to the bottom. We drove around and finally sighted the board. Got the board, re-attached the line and reeled the lead core up and unhooked the lure from the bottom.

What a pile of action in 20 minutes.......

The waves continued to grow in strength and we headed for the lee of the shore,but couldn't find a fish there, so we headed back to where we hit those fish,(waves not withstanding), trolled out of the wind into the lee and had a huge strike and thought that we had touched the bottom, left the board out as it was riding fine. Not a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just before we decided to head for the launch, the lead-core board fired and I grabbed the rod and was hopeful for a walleye, BUT it wasn't. It was another pike. weight, scales and length and over the side, the darned fish got my finger as I took the hook out and I was bleeding all over the board.

Brought the lines in and well golly darn!!!!! the lure was missing from the outer board, guess that wasn't the bottom after all.

If anyone gets a Pike(probably) with a Live Target Perch in its mouth, give us a call.......

Back to the launch at 1600 and were on our way home.

A windy day with three species landed, good size pike (pair of 8 lbers) and a real nice walleye(7.5lns). We hit the first pike on a Grey Ghost Reef Runner, the walleye hit a Live Action Deep Perch and the last pike hit a Rapala Extreme Minnow

Looking forward to our next outing, can't tell where we'll go.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Thanksgiving Fishing Report - Oct 14,2013

Post by Mr Twister »

Nice report Dave!

Good luck later in the Fall for those lunkers Walleyes.

Pauly
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Thank you for the detailed report. I am living vicariously through...had wished I fished...but couldn't.
...anything to bend the rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice save on the hung up bait Dave, some steady action for you guys!

RJ
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Awesome stuff SD always good reads!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
sgtMeowsteen
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sgtMeowsteen »

Thanks for sharing!
Looks like an awesome thanksgiving weekend to me.