pike infestation....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

pike infestation....

Post by Streamside88 »

ok so i went on the jock today and could not believe the amount of pencil pike (1 1/2 footers to 2 footers) in there.... like to the point were its en infestation! now there has to be bigger pike around or do they go into bigger water i dont know....,

now i realize lure size makes a difference but in this case i started out using a regular size spinner bait witch i use to cover water and find fish and i caught i few of them on it so i switched to a bigger spoon caught a couple more.

finally i got enoyed of those little suckers figured there would be bigger ones so i started using a pretty big buzbait witch yielded the same result..... took out a musky sized soft bait ( 10/12" i believe) and caught a few more with that??? like wtf! are they that hungry? i mean there was bait fish galore everywhere i looked yet they decide they want to go for something half there size?

anywayse i must of caught a dozen or so in about a kilometer of water is that normal for the jock or?
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: pike infestation....

Post by rex.stpierre »

Do you fish a part of the river where its a small closed in water basin. Sometimes they stay at 24 inch because of lack of feed.
Last edited by rex.stpierre on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Normal for a nursery, they hatched not too far away, will progress to bigger water as they grow.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nothing new for the Jock to have loads of smaller Pike. I grew up fishing it and rarely saw a fish over 3 lbs.

RJ
captian cotton
Participant
Participant

Post by captian cotton »

small males will typically stay within the shallow weedy bays and flats. If you want big pike you need to go to big water. In my experience, the big fish will be hanging out in deep water near points, shoals, etc but not on the shoals. Try pitching those large lures out in the middle.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

its a small river and the part i was fishing had no basin as far as i know. it has a fairly consistent width, depth varies between 4 to 8 feet. i was mostly catching them at the edge of weed patches in the center of the river and in the choke points (channels)... no shortage of bait fish, huge clouds of them all over the place mostly concentrated inside the patches....