Alabama rigs legal in Canada?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JasonT
Participant
Participant

Alabama rigs legal in Canada?

Post by JasonT »

Just curious as I haven't seen any in the local shops

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Alabama rigs legal in Canada?

Post by lape0019 »

That one isn't just because of the amount of hooks. Paddletales has the ontario legal ones (4 hooks) but I haven't seen them anywhere else either. You can use that version if you want, you would just have to cut the hooks off the jig heads or use blades on a few of the spreaders.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

JasonT wrote:Alabama rigs legal in Canada?

Just curious as I haven't seen any in the local shops
Yes, but can't have more than 4 hooks.
Lots of local shops are carrying them.
JasonT
Participant
Participant

Post by JasonT »

thanks for the replies

will try it out

8)
rod84
Participant
Participant

Post by rod84 »

If you find the 5 clip ones youc an use them, just clip a spoon with no hook or a bare blade to the 5th clip. This way you will only have 4 hooks and the extra attraction of the blade.
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

saw them at bait casters few weekends ago
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I've fished the 5 wire rigs, simply just put on a willow blade from an old spinner bait you have lying around,Simple yet effective.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Whether it works or not, that has to be the most ridiculous looking thing ever made. Am I the only one who would feel embarrassed tying that thing onto my line? I think I'd rather get skunked than to fish with that, LOL :mrgreen:
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

NMG wrote:Whether it works or not, that has to be the most ridiculous looking thing ever made. Am I the only one who would feel embarrassed tying that thing onto my line? I think I'd rather get skunked than to fish with that, LOL :mrgreen:
The fish sure don't find it to be ridiculous, Since it first appeared on Guntersville back in 2011 this rig has put a lot of bass into the live well over the past couple of years for numerous anglers. While they are much more popular state side they do work up here, it just becomes a confidence thing. Not many want to cast around a big 2oz bait all day but it has proven to catch fish, too many times anglers tie on a new lure fish it periodically throughout the day, and if they don't catch anything they deem it to be useless. Everything has its time and place under the right conditions. My favorite time is in mid to late fall when the water gets down into the 50's, I'm also going to be putting it to work in the coming weeks with bass opener soon approaching, I think this rig is best used in the spring and fall of the year, Schooling smallies love it :wink: truth be told many anglers have been successful and will continue to do so because they have learned and Alabama rig is a helpful tool to have in your boat when you know where to use it.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

NMG wrote:Whether it works or not, that has to be the most ridiculous looking thing ever made. Am I the only one who would feel embarrassed tying that thing onto my line? I think I'd rather get skunked than to fish with that, LOL :mrgreen:
Agreed ...... Looks ridiculous .... But I'm more of a walleye guy ..... What do I know :lol:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

If you are using it in Quebec only 3 hooks can be used.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I for one have not thrown one. Not because I think they are stupid but because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The way I look at it is I know Timmy Horton loves throwing them and Aaron Martens turns to them when nothing else is working. If those two top level competitors depend on them to fill the live well and get paid, they can't be half bad.

Adam
bassman
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman »

As a fisherman I also would be embarrassed to be caught using this rig. It's so ridiculous, I won't even watch a show if I see a guy throwing this bait.
JasonT
Participant
Participant

Post by JasonT »

proof is in the pudding as they say...

25 Lbs of Bass in 2 casts

Casting the Alabama Rig for Bass
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I would not expect results like that here, but a double header on one lure is quite possible. It is nothing new for me though as I have seen two small lies hooked on a pointer 110...

Pretty cool if you can get them both into the boat.

Adam