A Two for One Deal - Icefishing and Saltwater Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

A Two for One Deal - Icefishing and Saltwater Report

Post by ratsotail »

I need to make this brief tonight so I'll cut to the chase and give you a report on my recent Ice Capades and a trip my friend took last weekend as well to Venice, Louisiana.

First my weekend trip and then a nice surprise for you. Since the ice fishing season does not last long in my neck of the woods I try to make the best of it and hit the water hard when the lakes reach 3" since it might be gone soon. My friend and I had been planning a trip for weeks trying to decide what direction to head (all in northerly directions) and what lake to try. We decided on a 100 acre gem that offered panfish, Saugeye, Musky, stocked Trout and other surprises. After a 3 1/2 hour drive we holed up for the night at the luxurious Super 8 Motel :oops: :shock: . At first light we wheeled into this lake with high expectations.
We found 6" of ice and had the lake to ourselves on Friday. After pounding the drop offs, flats and banks we found the fish to be holding tight to cover and concentrated on catching Trout and whatever else would cruise by.
Caught many medium Bluegill, Crappie and a few big Red Ears for the weekend, but the big bonus was the Channel Cats that would hit regularly. I landed six and lost three at the hole. Here's one of the smaller ones:
Overall a fine trip, but I'm exhausted from three straight days of punching way too holes, lugging gear, long hours and pretty cold temps...but it's a good exhaustion as all ice nuts will attest to 8) :lol: .

Now on to the other promised story. As I was pulling off the ice Saturday night after a futile attempt for night time Crappie my friend from Florida calls me and tells me of the trip he had just finished to Venice, LA. Another friend told him he had to come and try fishing the Gulf of Mexico during this month. My friend couldn't resist thinking of how bad the Gulf looked for months as the BP oil rig spewed crude oil into this region for over three months. What he found was that the Gulf was not only alive, but teeming with sport fish. He was so excited in relaying the story I could hardly understand him at times. Here's my friend Brian with part of the haul on the way back in:
I think those are King Mackerel, Grouper, at least a couple species of Snapper and one I can't identify. As you'll see in the accompanying series of pics they were fishing around some of the oil rigs and were catching live Blue Runners to use for bait for big fish. As they were catching the bait some huge fish became excited and started thrashing the surface and baitfish; so they backed off and cast into the fray. The fight begins:
Hang on Brian!
Don't get pulled into the water!
An hour and a half later they are finally able to gaff his personal best Yellowfin Tuna (around 150 lbs):
I don't think I could hold let alone pick up a fish that size, but I'd sure like to try, eh 8) :shock: :lol: !
Here's a few extra shots of the adventure:
In closing he mentioned that the fishing and some of the scenery was some of the best he's ever experienced. The Mississippi Delta area was just amazing; and this coming from someone who has fished years in Florida, Belize, Costa Rica and other Central American haunts.

So he wants me to fish with him here in April...think I should take him up on the offer 8) :) !?

Enjoy the long ice fishing season and keep posting reports like not-so-Fat Luke's, 24/7's and Mike P's!

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Jeff..........that is one hell of a mixed bag on the ice... I don't think we have a place around here to deal that assortment.

And your buddy on the salt water... What a haul......
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Nice report

Post by mikemicropterus »

Lucky guy nice report I'm jealous... :lol:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Some great looking fish in this report Jeff, and some nice bow`s to boot!
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Mike P wrote:Some great looking fish in this report Jeff, and some nice bow`s to boot!
The 'bow' shots were strictly for your appreciation Mike :-). Catchin' any lately?

Jeff
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice mixed bags of fish there man :) .
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Great report.

Thows 'bows are quite chunky. What a great lake to fish.

Nice to see the saltwater stuff. Lot's of fight in a tuna. WOW!! I'm sure he was eating fresh tuna done on the BBQ that night.

Thanks for the report and pics,
Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

DropShot'r wrote:Great report.

Thows 'bows are quite chunky. What a great lake to fish.

Nice to see the saltwater stuff. Lot's of fight in a tuna. WOW!! I'm sure he was eating fresh tuna done on the BBQ that night.

Thanks for the report and pics,
Drop
I was almost willing to fly down to get a taste of marinated tuna on the grill DropShot'r :lol: . I love Yellowfin!

ratsotail
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I think I have read this report about 5 times already since last night... all I can say is wow.

I mean... that is amazing.

Was that a friggin oil rig that was behind the dude pulling on that tuna?!!

... and that tuna... it looks like a space ship!!!! Seriously!!!

Thanks for sharing that... nice to see The Gulf produce fish like that after the shot in the 'nards that it took from BP.

Craig
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

ratsotail wrote:
Mike P wrote:Some great looking fish in this report Jeff, and some nice bow`s to boot!
The 'bow' shots were strictly for your appreciation Mike :-). Catchin' any lately?

Jeff
I am Jeff...but none the size of that tuna! :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

A report with a foot in hard water and soft water simultaneously!

Ratso making the fishing rounds...rubbing salt into the wounds of those of us who fish vicariously through others this time of year.

I guess it's safe to say you liked it in Cajun Country and might possibly be seeking a spring encore... 8)

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

a never seen befor report!

I LOVE IT!
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Son!!...don't ya just hate when giant fish can get your line wrapped around an oil rig!!!! :lol: :lol:

That's a great pictorial Jeff. To see the gulf alive from a sport fishing perspective is very fresh...

Argyle Lake eh?

Looks like the Ice Blue and triggerspin slayed some real fat Trout.

Crappie, cats and trout...man o man!!!

Hope you can visit soon!
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

A killer combo and great read.
Fatty bows and that tuna....... huge :shock: Gotta feel the arm burn after that one!
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!