Alexandria Ice Fishing Derby... anyone going?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Alexandria Ice Fishing Derby... anyone going?

Post by cprince »

I was out in Morewood getting a tractor tire today... and I talked to Ron @ Morewood Tire for about an hour after he had it mounted on the rim. NICE GUY!!!!! Avid ice fisherman and Hunter... might make it on the site sometime!

He told me about an interesting icefishing derby in Alexandria on February 26th. MAJOR PRIZES!! All the way down to 56th place! From a Polaris Sportsman 500 all the way down to a tackle box.

It is $65 per hole. Biggest pike wins. He said that last year, biggest was about 5lbs. Sounds like fun to me!!

www.alexfishingderby.com

Anyone want to try and make a day of it?

Craig
Aube
Participant
Participant

Post by Aube »

I bought my ticket a couple weeks ago and am really looking forward to it. It'll be my first time and I heard that it's a great tourny.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I recall Joco usually attends this derby and reports here...
haven't heard much from him lately...Hope everything is OK!!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

No good
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

It's a crapshoot event on a small lake. $65 pre-drilled holes where everyone runs out to pick their spot and no FishTraps allowed... it's anyone's game at that point with all the commotion but yes, some fantastic prizes year after year. Joco and his dad are regulars.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Xcal165 wrote:I bought my ticket a couple weeks ago and am really looking forward to it. It'll be my first time and I heard that it's a great tourny.
NICE!

When is the early bird cut off?

Out4trout wrote:I recall Joco usually attends this derby and reports here...
haven't heard much from him lately...Hope everything is OK!!
He is frozen in at McLaurin Bay in his Yak! He is using a MAAP gas torch to get himself unstuck!
Bass Addict wrote:No good
Alright then.

Craig
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

CPRINCE thats along way for you for a tire :wink: :wink: the alexandria derby is all luck. It's quite a site, as soon as the derby starts you see about 5-10 guys sprinting to the weigh scale. The second they dropped down they had a fish on. Great prizes but all luck.
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
Aube
Participant
Participant

Post by Aube »

Not sure, I couldn't find the cut off online so I figured it would be on the ticket when it comes in the mail.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

nips wrote:CPRINCE thats along way for you for a tire :wink: :wink: the alexandria derby is all luck. It's quite a site, as soon as the derby starts you see about 5-10 guys sprinting to the weigh scale. The second they dropped down they had a fish on. Great prizes but all luck.
@ bucketmouth & nips

From what I was told about it and what I have read (not a lot at this point!!) it sounds like it is exactly as you describe!!!

That is what is attractive to me. The fact that it is wide open and you can pretend that it is skill if you get a prize!!! The story will have me fighting the beast through the hole after switching up the bait presentation and a squirt of special potion poured in the hole...

Better than wasting my money on a Super 7 with Extra (Encore)!!

Craig
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

cprince wrote:
When is the early bird

I don't usually fish Derby's , but Birds ......i'm in :wink:
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

All be at that derby. Its a very nice derby and theres like 1300 peoples there and its lots of fun. You should come Craig and theres lots of door prizes also. I already bauhgt my ticket as well.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

With my luck my hole would be on the beach! :)
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

cprince wrote:When is the early bird cut off?
the early bird cut off is is midnight on february 19th its on the prizes page of the website.
http://www.alexfishingderby.com/prizes.htm
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

My son and I fished it a couple winters ago... MAN IT WAS COLD :shock: I think it was -20 something + the wind. anyway... without knowing where the trough in the lake was... it was a crap shoot, as I recall most of the fish caught were from the deepest part of the lake which was in the trough. One fellow thought he had the tourney in the bag when the fish he brought to the scale would not even fit in his 5 gal PAIL ... but it turned out to be a MUSKY!!!! so it was disqualified... anyway... yes some nice prizes, LOTS of people, if you want your choice of hole, you better be there at least 1 hour before.

BTW.... MY Mom used to look after the guy who manages the derby. This of course was way back in the early 1970's when we lived in Alexandria and he was just a little tyke.... :lol: he was full of spunk then and still is :lol:
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

plncrzy wrote:...One fellow thought he had the tourney in the bag when the fish he brought to the scale would not even fit in his 5 gal PAIL ... but it turned out to be a MUSKY!!!! so it was disqualified...
There is a little more to this story... the fish didn't make it. The COs were on site. The guy was led away in handcuffs. When the guys at the tire shop told me this story, I said to him that there MUST be more to it than just inadvertently killing an OOS and undersized fish... he said no. He went on to say that there was a near riot when the COs tried to transport him to the station. The townspeople didn't like how the COs went about the whole thing.

If any one else knows more to this story I would appreciate it... as I find this damn curious!

Craig