Ice Fishing for Walleye, Crappie and Perch

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice Fishing for Walleye, Crappie and Perch

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to this hole ice fishing scene and I'm slowly getting all the stuff I need to set me up on some fish. With all this flasher talk going on the board these days I started to watch some videos and decided that it would be a great investment. However, my main target when ice fishing in the past were Pike and pike only. Yeah I went out a couple of times on the Ottawa river right near my place in Aylmer and caught a couple of small walleyes (under a pound) but that's about it. This year I'd like to diversify if you get what I mean. I've been looking at old reports from last winter of people going to the BOQ and hooking up on some monster walleyes. Other reports where people landed a ton of Crappies and some jumbo Perch. Although I'm not new to fishing, I have never targeted these 3 species before. Yeah I know, what a waste. I don't know where to find them or how to clean them (I can find that on the Internet once I find them). I've only ever had walleye maybe twice in my life and from what I remember it was the best tasting fish I had ever tasted. So here are my newbie questions since it's now December and the water will start to freeze soon enough. Where and how do I target these fish? They don't have to be all in one spot. I'd like to drive around and test some new spots out. I've never caught a crappie in my life. I've caught many sunfish but it's not the same thing. The biggest perch I've caught was maybe 4" long. And as for walleyes, I can't remember one being over a pound. So this winter my plan is to hit my 3 new PBs on these 3 species and if I could beat my PB of 8 pounds for a Pike on the ice, I'll be able to mark this year on my calendar as the year of PBs.

Thanks for the input guys and sorry for the long post...

Derek
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

I am sure some poeple on the site will help you destroy your PB's, good luck man, you will like the hard-water action.

Couple of tips, prepare yourself to drill lots of holes if you wanna be productive and crappies are harder and require lots of legwork, if you wanna find a spot that's not being pounded.

Manny
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

As seeing your a smart hockey fan I thought I would try to help. I'm new to ice fishing as well and if you really want to learn about these species a really good start is to go out and buy Tim Allards new ice fishing book. There is a ton of info on these fish, it's a good read. This is what I did and I can't wait to get on the ice to try some of these tactics. Keep safe and good luck.

Raydar
8)
Keep your line in the water and there will always be a smile on your face.
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

be glad ta help ya out with your pb pike/walleye here on quinte
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Raydar wrote:As seeing your a smart hockey fan I thought I would try to help. I'm new to ice fishing as well and if you really want to learn about these species a really good start is to go out and buy Tim Allards new ice fishing book. There is a ton of info on these fish, it's a good read. This is what I did and I can't wait to get on the ice to try some of these tactics. Keep safe and good luck.

Raydar 8)
Hey Raydar,
It's on my xmas list this year. I don't know what the ice will look like before but I know that I'll be going out once the ice can withold my big frame.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

hawg hunter wrote:be glad ta help ya out with your pb pike/walleye here on quinte
I'm sure gonna have to make it out in your area this winter. I've seen too many pictures and heards too many stories for me not to head out your way.

I'd really dig catching a monster walleye on the ice!

Derek
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

Hey Spezza fan, if you were a good boy this year Santa should bring it to you :lol: As a new ice walker I'm going to wait till I start seeing some post of guys going out fishing. If there all driving there truck on the lakes then I know I can take my 4 wheeler on. Can't wait, good luck this year.

Raydar
8) :lol: 8)
Keep your line in the water and there will always be a smile on your face.