Quinte Report: Nov 6th and 7th

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quinte Report: Nov 6th and 7th

Post by JimW »

Made the trip down to Quinte from Ottawa area again this weekend with 2 buddies, hoping to repeat our success from last weekend.

We launched the Blind Fishing Boat on Saturday at the ferry and ran to Pryner's and then started to troll back towards the ferry. Didn't hit anything for a couple hours. Finally a board goes off and Lawrence is up on the rod, after a short battle we net a nice 10.5 pounder. Lawrence's personal best walleye, a couple quick pictures and she swims away. Fish caught on bare naked reef runner, 150 feet of line out.

My buddy had never caught or seen a sheephead, so he actually wanted to catch one, which I think jinxed us because our next 2 fish were both 10 pound plus sheephead. He was happy catching his, me not so. Both sheaphead caught on Rapala hot steel coloured DT20s. I switched that lure after the 2nd sheepie.

We ended the day with one more small 3 pound eater walleye. (caught on reef runner, 150 feet back)

After a good night's sleep Saturday night, thank god for turning the clocks back an hour. We started east of the ferry again Sunday morning. I could not believe how calm the water was. We had a slow sunday trolling around for 6 hours washing my lures, before finally catching a 4 pounder. Caught on reef runner, black with purplish dots, in front of the bat cave. Packed it in around 2pm and drove home to Ottawa.

Hoping other had more success than us.

Hoping to make it back down to Quinte in a couple weeks. Just need to convince my fair weather bass fishing buddies, not to winterize their boats. My minivan and little boat don't like the icy roads and boat ramps in late November and December.

I'll post pictures when I get them from my fishing partners.

Good luck on the water.

Jim W
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi Jim;
Thanks for the report.
I myself will accept Sheephead for the fight. Much better than the Pickerel.
However, the true reason for going to the Bay this time of the year is yes,
the Eyes.
Thanks again.
Daner
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Thanks for the report.

Congrats to Lawrence on his PB 'eye.

Ahhhh sheephead, for a few blissful moments a long, long time ago I thought I had a 7-8lb smallie on in the St. Lawrence :shock: :cry: :oops:
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's great to hear Lawrence picked up a new PB...I'll never forget watching him load his boat alone one November evening all the while refusing help......dude is hardcore and an inspiration....

RJ
Bronze Participant

Post by karma »

I had just put together an 8' Oak board mounted on two 12" Scotty pedestals with six Scotty Orca rod holders (left the downriggers at home). With the flush mount rod holders on the gunnels we had no shortage of options, and Jim took advantage of them all with his various 6-rod configurations. After speaking with a couple of others that were fishing the same waters over the weekend, his intuition and skill seemed to have paid off. We might not have caught a lot, but we did better than most.

Man, was that 10lb Walleye sure beautiful. I couldn't get over just how wide it was behind the gills. Not a deep belly either, just pure muscle. With the 8lb mono, it gave a good fight too as I didn't want to force the issue.

Scot Campbell was piloting the boat over the two days and drove the tow vehicle down and back. Couldn't have been out with two more competent guys, and good company too.
Lawrence Gunther
Founder - Blind Fishing Boat
Host - The Blue Fish Radio Show
and Feel the Bite TV
President - Blue Fish Canada
Web: http://www.LawrenceGunther.com
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

That`s a great day on the water guys.