Boat Rental Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Would you or someone you know be interested in this service?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 15

Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Boat Rental Question

Post by Scaini33 »

Hey Hawkers,

I'm contemplating renting my boat out next season. I would just like to see if people would be interested in this service and if its worth it for me to go through the hassle.

The boat is a 14f lund with a 15hp mercury 4 stroke. 2009 model boat and motor. It has a large casting deck, two fishing seats, fish finder and a bow mount trolling motor with a foot pedal control. Perfect for 2 people to spend the day on but can fit 4 if you want.

Rates would probably go something like:

$90 a day
$160 weekend
$350-$450 a week.

I guess since most people who will be renting boats wont have a way to pull them so delivery will be available.

Thanks for your help, any input is welcome!
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Are you and your renters insured?

What about boater operater certification and you renting?

How about transactions needing a reciept?

Just a few questions....hope you don't mind :D
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Post by Scaini33 »

The plan is to make it a legitimate business, insurance, receipts and of course TAXES!

I am also almost positive that since the new boating laws have past that everyone operating a boat or pleasure craft needs a licence. Its a $40 test and its easy enough. It also lasts a lifetime.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Happy renting!
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

actually a boaters card is not required on a rental.

I think you'll find that COMMERCIAL liability insurance is going to kill your idea pretty quick :( And running something like this without commercial insurance is setting yourself up for a HUGE lawsuit if anything happened.

from a Fish-hawk perspective, careful with your wording...its ok asking for information about setting up a business, but if it looks like you're trolling for business, we will remove the posts unless you want to become an advertiser here :)

Cheers and good luck
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Commercial Liability on something like this is hard to find. Only a few special outfits will sell this due to the liability exposure. If you do find something I am thinking it will be around $1500-$2500/yr. That would mean you would need to rent the boat out a minimum of 16 days just to cover the low end of that cost. You also have fee's for creating a company, gas, maintenance, proper safety gear, if you leave it somewhere you will need docking fee's...etc...etc...etc. I am thinking that to break even on this you will need to make about $4000-$5000 which over a season is 44 rentals.

Just something to think about.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Post by Scaini33 »

Thanks for the input. I understand the various cost associated with starting a business as I have done it before. And of course there is always extra costs to doing business, I am just more interested if there is really a market out there for it.

I have done my research on my costs and expenses, its just a matter of getting enough customers to break even and make a profit. I knew insurance would be BIG and thats one of my main costs.

I know most people on FH have boats and they are a lot better than mine but it would help to know if people thing it could be useful to friends or family without a boat.

I think one of my main markets would be trying to rent the boat out to people who rent cottages because most cottage rentals dont come with motor boats and thats just a tease when you cant really get out on the water!

All input is still welcome and keep voting if you can.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

As a "non-boater", with my operators card, I would be very interested simply due to the delivery factor. I am in Kanata, keep me posted...
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.