Proposition for upcoming ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Proposition for upcoming ice season

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Anybody interested in forming a group of guys who wish to travel to and from the BOQ to ice fish on a bi-weekly basis? Like every second Sat etc?

This way we can share gas, equipment etc.

Save money, have fun, catch fish?

We'll call it

The "Fish-Hawk Recreational Quinte Walleye Club"

FRQWC...I like it.

We can do it as a tournament if people want. Jan-feb. Thats 4 outings.

Idea is to promote fun, friendship...ok some trash talk is permitted.
Maybe we can get some prizes, go for supper in Perth on the way home?

What do people think?
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

That sounds cool.
One question though. How safe is ice fishing? (Sorry for being such a wuss)!

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Where do you plan to fish?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Bm_Attar: I think its safe and I'll check ice conditions through Quintefishing.com

RJ: The "usual" spots but rotate it from East to West. That way we fish seperate spots. Could also do AM bite and PM bite in different spots.

I just think this allows some guys who are unfamiliar with the area to try it. Quinte Ice fishing is second to none IMHO. I am a HORRIBLE ice fisherman and I got a nice eye last year...LOL

I still want to hit Huff's this fall....
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Bm_Attar: I think its safe and I'll check ice conditions through Quintefishing.com

RJ: The "usual" spots but rotate it from East to West. That way we fish seperate spots. Could also do AM bite and PM bite in different spots.

I just think this allows some guys who are unfamiliar with the area to try it. Quinte Ice fishing is second to none IMHO. I am a HORRIBLE ice fisherman and I got a nice eye last year...LOL

I wouldn't rely on ice conditions from the internet.
Quinte is a very dangerous place for newbies to be venturing. The difference in ice can vary in a short distance.

I have been fishing the same area all my life (I know I'm only 30), but I did manage to fall through last year. Again standing on 10 inches, walked less than 20 feet away, and down I went.

Whether this works out for you or not, don't trust anyone's ice reports except your own.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

fatluke wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Bm_Attar: I think its safe and I'll check ice conditions through Quintefishing.com

Quinte is a very dangerous place for newbies to be venturing. The difference in ice can vary in a short distance.

I have been fishing the same area all my life (I know I'm only 30), but I did manage to fall through last year. Again standing on 10 inches, walked less than 20 feet away, and down I went.

Whether this works out for you or not, don't trust anyone's ice reports except your own.
Well then Luke why don't you join! You have the knowledge obviously and would be a great asset to have!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I have never ice fished the areas you will probably be fishing and I like my spots that never have more than 10 people within a kilometer of me.

I have said for the last 4 years I would venture down to the reach, but my "spots" are just too close to home to leave.

Maybe this year If I'm in the area when a group travels down, I can try and join. My trips home always result in extreme alcohol consumption with the boys and the fishing trips are not really planned.

Whatever you do though, don't be venturing around areas you don't see other people at, and even at that, check the ice. I have seen some crazy mofo's out there.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

fatluke wrote:

I agree with you for sure. I've been out there on 5 inches of ice in the morning to have only 2 inches of ice by the end of the day. I've also seen 5 inches one evening and no ice at all the following morning. so to follow ice reports is a total waste of time. cause by the time the reports get posted, the conditions have already changed. my opinion, survival suits are a must
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks guys...

There are obvious safety concerns. I ventured down there 4 times last season. Once was 1 area totally unsafe. I know you guys speak from experience and concern.

No I think for the purpose of this group will be to fish in common areas. Therefore nobody's "spots" are revealed...its not the point.

The point of this is:

1) Get guys(and gals) to Quinte
2) Freindly recreational fishing
3) Get people who have never iced fished before out to a great area.

Obviously there is safety in numbers, no sketchy spots etc.
ALL CATCH, PHOTO, RELEASE.

Its a commitment but not everybody has to make every date. Its meant to be fun, save on gas and have a good time.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I would probably be interested in joining for a trip or 2 Jimmy.

I have already been planning with a couple non-fish-hawkers to hit Quinte this winter hard, every 2nd weekend or so. Looking to beat my 14 pounder last winter.

JimW
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

The Amigo's are in ...round two....operation walleye

Note to Bass Addict ..

Bring a '' couple '' pairs of gloves this time... :oops:
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

been ice fishing Quinte 30 years,31 if i count this year,and it makes me shake my head when i hear folks taking bout i fell in,or we had 8" of ice in the morn and 4" in the afternoon DUH what do you expect

all this tells me is your fishing a high current area,which im sure you know (or maybe not)so why complain about the ice when we all know it washes away with the current and its not really a safe place ta fish.

ive heard all kinds of reasons for fishing these areas and none appeal ta me
99.9% of the reports of folks falling in come from these areas HUMMMM lets go ta that spot.

eyes are moving through these areas on route to there spawning grounds to winter over and spawn in the spring.

so if ya here there pounding them in that spot give it 5-10 days and fish up ahead of them in a non current area and you will cut them off on safe ice cause as we all know the eyes swim up the bay, only once in 30 years have i followed a school of eyes where they turned around and started going the way they came and after 2 days they turned back.

guess thats my first warning of the year lol beware out there folks and if i can be of any help on current ice conditions just ask and ill tell ya.

this post was not intended to offend anyone just to help maybe safe your mug,most of you know come winter i fish 7 days a week morn/afternoon so in my area i know the ice..

taker easy and please be safe out there come time and remember the lad who says hes on 8" of ice also tells his wife the same (no offence but true lol)

Hawg Hunter
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

What about inviting someone you don't like ... when you are unloading the stuff say "hey bubba, why don't you get a head start on the rest of us and go put a line in" ... make sure he's a heavy guy ... then if he does not fall though you are good to go ... if he does fall through then pack back up and head to Denys for some breakkie ...
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

dead_weight wrote:What about inviting someone you don't like ... when you are unloading the stuff say "hey bubba, why don't you get a head start on the rest of us and go put a line in" ... make sure he's a heavy guy ... then if he does not fall though you are good to go ... if he does fall through then pack back up and head to Denys for some breakkie ...
Sorry...... but there is no humour in that at all.

You had best hope Karma doesn't bit you in the butt this winter.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Ok so maybe Big Jim and all the other senior posties here are right ... people have gotten way too serious ... it's only a joke ... if you don't find it funny then don't laugh ... I mean theres others that have little animations of a stick man hitting a keyboard, blood flying, essentially committing suicide (I think its Dore) ... am I insulted since I had a friend that did pretty much that with a gun .. no ... it's a joke and even though i don't find it funny I'm sure many do.

Life is short ... laugh a little.