Georgian Bay fishing, any info would be appreciated.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Georgian Bay fishing, any info would be appreciated.

Post by fatluke »

I'm heading to Georgian Bay at the end of the month and I have never been there, nor do I know anything about fishing there. We will be staying on Parry island, directly south from Killbear Provincial Park.

My buddy who owns the cottage has no problem catching lakers, but hasn't really fished for anything else. I am looking for info on any other species, mainly musky and/or smallies.

Anything you could possibly tell me would help. Hopefully there is some good musky fishing in close proximity to the area we are staying.

Thanks in advance.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Hey Luke, I recently spent 2.5 days fishing around Pointe au Baril and I may have tried to get milk from a stone but the largie fishing was extremely difficult to say the least. I realize smallmouth are king there (I am not the greatest smallie fisherman) but I was disappointed chasing largemouth up that way.

Most of the camp had the same issues and it seemd regular guest were happy catching one 3 pound smallie and not much else over the course of a day...
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Looks like a lot of deep water around there...

I would see if I could get into Three Mile Lake on that island!

PM me if there is a specific area that you want to see with higher detail.

Craig
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Also forgot to mention that I constantly felt as if I was tip toe'n in a mine field. The number of rock shoals can't be described until you are there. I Had GPS w/hydro chart, side imaging sonar, a good sense of where channels were and still. You are always a lil tense.
miker
Participant
Participant

Post by miker »

I just got back from close to Pointe au Baril area about an hour ago...we did OK on musky...lots of small ones while fishing bass (on Northam's), some were OK..a few big pike and musky on jakes...were catching them in anything from 4 fow to 15. water temp varies of course..but was between 69 and 75 depending where we were conditions that day etc etc.

and as mentioned.....watch for rocks! you can go from 10 fow to 6 inches in a huge hurry!
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Luke,

I once rented an old cedar strip boat along the French River and camped amongst the islands of the Bay for several days. I'm with the other posters in that the tea water makes it almost impossible to NOT hit a shoal. Bring an extra prop for sure! The fishing was OK until a massive cold front came through...scared the dickens out of us as we were in the tent and exposed to the fury when the T-storms came through.

Tight Lines

Jeff
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Don't know what size of boat you'll be fishing from but you're close to some good fishing water. Anywhere around Franklin Island, Snug Harbour, Dillon and Shawanaga will hold pike, walleye, smallies and musky. That area is north of Parry Island and on the nautical strip chart 2203, South of Parry Island the waters from 12 Mile Bay to Parry Sound are all good fishing, a large part of it is the Moon River basin, once fabled musky water but sadly not any more but pike, bass and walleye are there, This area is on chart 2202, If your buddy doesn't have charts either paper or on a GPS I would highly reccomend buying them before venturing into these areas they are teeming with Georgian Bay sharks that eat props and lower ends regulary!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Thanks for all the TIPS guys.

My buddy (is actually my wifes friends husband) has had a cottage there all his life so they know the danger zones. Why they don't fish anything besides lakers is beyond me, but I'm going to take advantage of everything Georgian Bay has to offer.

Fishforfun, I believe the boat is 17 or 19 foot fully rigged fishin boat so getting around won't be a problem.

And thanks again Craig for hooking me up with some Maps. Buddy is to call me this morning and I'll get back to you with more specifics.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Don't forget fresh batteries for the camera...... :wink:
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman