Nickel on Dalhousie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Nickel on Dalhousie

Post by Canmoore »

I went fishing with some buddies on Dalhousie Lake, one of my favorite spots is on the Bridge. Where CR 8, crosses the Mississippi River, where Dalhousie lake drains into the river.

We were there for no longer than 40 minutes. I first tied on a Jig, and caught a little rockbass. Next I tried my trusty Zara Spook, after a few casts, I made one cast, and let it sit. So the ripples would smooth out in the water, I turned to talk to my buddy when I heard a splash, I looked to see that I had missed a fish that had hit my idle Spook.

So I presided to walk the dog, when WHAM! This Bronzeback with shoulders chomps down on my lure. And gives us one heck of a show!

Anyone who met me, can attest that I have very broad shoulders. In this picture, I tried not to hold the fish out, to show the true size. This fish was about as long as my shoulders! What a brute!

This pig was let go to fight another day!.

My buddy was having fun with Panfish on the fly, he ties his own flies. And has this one wasp fly, that just kills the panfish!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Were you out yesterday Canmore?? If so my buddy saw you fishing and had a laugh at the fly fishing and catching sunnies on a fly rod. Told him I bet the fight was good. 8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Heck of a nice fish! That must have been freaky to see that thing crush your top water!

The bite was ON this week-end for certain!

Nickles from shore can happen... I had a couple of good ones when I was rooted on the shore. Just have to be persistent.

You will be a great example for all the shore fishermen on this site Canmoore... great job!

Craig
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Nice fish man!!! I guess he was hungry to take two swipes at it :)
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

Real nice fish :D
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

I like dalhousie in the spring for walleye, my brother has a cottage there.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Wow, what a fish. Long live shore fishing :-)
I got some nice bass yesterday but much smaller than that pig. Also pike were very active even from shore.

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

Nice Fish, Congrats on the Nickle.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Thanks! Yup I was certainly out there yesterday Almontefisher!

I love shore fishing from this bridge, in the spring it is great for shore Walleye. In the summer, there are monster Smallies that cruise the flats infront of the Bridge. The water is no more than 2 feet, with current. So any small or injured fish from the lake is going to get funneled down through the bridge.

Last summer, I landed a 22' Smallie on a Smithwick Rougue in the same spot!
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

We vacationed at Dalhousie lake a few weeks ago ... nice spot but tons of leeches in the water .. had to take them off the kids all the time .. I'm curious .. ever fish with live leeches there?

It's funny my wife and I took a drive down to that restaurant and then went over the bridge down past the golf course ... I looked at the river there and remarked how I'd like to fish it .. she didn't bite ... !!! So I didn't get a chance to go there on my holidays ... thats a serious fish man ... who needs a boat !!
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

dead_weight wrote:We vacationed at Dalhousie lake a few weeks ago ... nice spot but tons of leeches in the water .. had to take them off the kids all the time .. I'm curious .. ever fish with live leeches there?
I think that it may just be a peak year for leaches. This year seems to be a peak year for many things..earwigs, corn.. Perhaps all this rain and humid weather has resulted in more leaches?

My grandfather has had a cottage on the lake for over 20 years now. I have been going to the lake since I was 7. In all that time, I can count the amount of leaches I have had on me, on my hands..

The lake is very fertile, and produces lots of baitfish. There are pike in the lake, however, they rarely get over 10 pounds. It is however, and astounding smallmouth fishery. It was once a great walleye lake, but overfishing has really taken a chunk out of the fishery. Still I manage to catch a number 20'+ fish in a year. The record on the lake was a 11lb walleye!!

I swear that there is a provincial record smallie in the lake however!!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice smally buddy and congrats on your nickel :D.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Yeah I can attest to the baitfish ... the kids caught tons of fish from the dock ... they were everywhere. we went for a paddle and saw some decent bass along some larger rocks ... it didn't seem like there was a lot of people fishing the week we were there .. at least not in our area.

I've fly fished for panfish as well ... when nothing else is biting it's a nice way to spend some time and practice ... if your buddy has never tried a "mouse" type fly he should think about it ... it literally looks like a small mouse and is made of deer hair .. i got it at lebarons I think ... the bass go crazy for it ... I've had some that were barely twice the size of the fly bite the tail of the mouse and hang on until I pretty much got him it ... it's expensive but you can get a lot of mileage from it.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Nice smallie.

Looks like a brute.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Beast of a smallie.

Still hard to beat a Spook or Spook Jr.