A Froggin rod.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

A Froggin rod.

Post by Wallyboss »

Right now I use a flippin stick as my frog rod. but it seems like when it is a good froggin day that by the time I get off the water my arms are killing me. I know that it is not a perfect rod but compared to some of my other rods that I have tried it's the best for that technique. Some other rods are too wimpy to pull a bass and 10lbs of vegetation and the other ones are sturdy enough but I cannot get any distance on my casts I have to lob them.
It is time for me to buy a new froggin rod.
My idea of a good froggin rod is
1) lots of backbone
2) a tip that will load up properly to get long casts without having to whip it. (that is what has been giving me my sore arms and shoulders with my flipping stick)
3) What is a good length for a rod ? I would prefer 7' to fit in my rod locker but I could go longer.
4) I will use one of my reels that I already have but what would your preference in a reel on a frog rod and why??

Thanking you in advance

My budget for the rod is between 150.00 and 200.00. Or if somebody has one that is in very good condition but would like to upgrade.

I am not company specific.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
ELLIS
Participant
Participant

Post by ELLIS »

I went to see Ed at Paddletales in Winchester with the same question. Ended up buying a Dobyns 735 rod and Shimano Curado 200E reel. Turned out being a well balanced powerful rig. Love it. Thanks again Ed!

Cheers,

Bill
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Dan, I am using the 7' Kistler Magnesium Jig n' Toad and couldn't be happier. The tip is nice and soft for those super long casts yet has a lot of backbone to bring the salad AND the fish. We can meet up and you can try mine if you'd like.

We can also order one at the shop for you (10% Fish-hawk discount)

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-magne ... TCR70.html
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Dan ..

I use a Shimano Crucial CRC-7 ' 6'' H ........... 8) 8) :D :D :D ,
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I use a Kistler Carbon Steel 7'3" Heavy "Frog'n'Slop" rod. They don't make it anymore but its been an awesome frog rod for me. Serious backbone, indestructable rod (within reason obviously), and can cast a Spro or R2S frog a friggin' MILE but still set the hook hard at that distance.

I'd recommend a reel with at least 6.2:1 but even better would be a 7:1 or faster gear ratio. 65# or higher braid - I really like the Daiwa Samurai Braid 70# for frogs (Ed recommended and spooled it for me, it's been awesome stuff).

Get a reel with a good freespool to get even more distance from your casts. When trying to be discrete about boat placement, every foot of cast distance counts. (It also helps when you're a back-of-boat angler like I am, LOL). I personally use a Pfleuger President (widespool) with a 6.3:1 ratio. Great casting reel with a solid frame that won't flex at all on the hookset or during the fight of fish + salad.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I use a Kistler Carbon Steel 7'3" Heavy "Frog'n'Slop" rod. They don't make it anymore but its been an awesome frog rod for me. Serious backbone, indestructable rod (within reason obviously), and can cast a Spro or R2S frog a friggin' MILE but still set the hook hard at that distance.

I'd recommend a reel with at least 6.2:1 but even better would be a 7:1 or faster gear ratio. 65# or higher braid - I really like the Daiwa Samurai Braid 70# for frogs (Ed recommended and spooled it for me, it's been awesome stuff).

Get a reel with a good freespool to get even more distance from your casts. When trying to be discrete about boat placement, every foot of cast distance counts. (It also helps when you're a back-of-boat angler like I am, LOL). I personally use a Pfleuger President (widespool) with a 6.3:1 ratio. Great casting reel with a solid frame that won't flex at all on the hookset or during the fight of fish + salad.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

nodie is right on the money.

jig and toad. kistler
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Hey guys thanks for all your replies. I haven't made my decision yet, but I appreciate all the help.

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

When I replace my existing Frog Rod next Spring it'll be the Crucial 7'11" Heavy....

With a Curado of course....

Any quality flippin stick will do Dan....sounds like ya have a setup that isn't balanced right or just too heavy....

I don't use mine much anyways....frog and rat bite has been dead for me for 2 years....

RJ
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks RJ the Crucial is one that I am looking at.

TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Another vote for the Dobyns Savvy Series 735. Picked one up a few weeks ago and you won't be disappointed. This rod will cast a SPRO Bronzeye frog a country mile and had plenty of backbone to rip those big bass out of heavy cover. Pair that with a burner reel (7:1 gear ratio) and 65lbs braid and you've got one sweet frogging combo!
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

I used the Crucial 7'2 Heavy & found it to be too stiff. I was setting the hook really hard and actually ripping the frog out of some fishes mouth. I then went to the Cumara 7'2MH and its got a softer tip so it doesn't load quite as fast allowing the bass to swallow it. Ive been very pleased & find my hookup ratio has increased..
I mean the frog bite is risky sometimes u get short bites and just plain and simple reaction "I hate you strikes" ... But if your rod is too stiff you may rip those away from the bass. I find the Curado 201E7 makes this combo perfect. Fast line pick up so you can haul the bass over matt and timber.

hope this helps

SS
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

And I tought it was going to be an easy decision!!!! Thanks Guys for all the info.

steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i bought a G Loomis Frog Rod Brand New from Natural Sports for $199.

I use it also as a heavier spinnerbait rod.

It's 7'2 (or maybe 7'3) and perfect.

Light.

I use a Calais 201A with a 6.1:1 gear ratio on it.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Well tonight I made my purchase, I brought my Quantum Tour edition PT Burner with me to try it on the different rods I had my eyes on. I had to stay in my budget zone because I had just spent a lot of greens repairing my Quad. So at the end it was down to the Kistler Jig and Toad or the Dobyns Savvy735. After putting my reel on and off of the 2 rods multiple times it came down to the one that gave me the best feeling in my hands and the best balanced combo. I chose the Dobyns Savvy735. Got home and if there would've been bass in my backyard I sure would've caught one with the amount of casts I did out there. I surely love the distance I get with an effortless cast. Now all I have to do is catch a biggun in the slop to test the backbone of it.

I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the info. Not sure if it made my decision easier but it sure eliminated a bunch of choices. And I was able to stay in budget. And thank you Ed for your great service again.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.