Kingston Steelhead?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Kingston Steelhead?

Post by JZ »

As the ice starts to melt I am looking forward to open water season. Tons of lakes and fishing opportunities in the Kingston area but one thing I haven't managed to find is a good place to shore fish for Trout in the spring and Salmon in the Fall. I grew up in southern ont where I was spoiled- 45mins from Bronte, Port Credit, Niagara but I don't know of any similiar opportunities at this end of the Lake.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Yeah - the occasional Lake O salmonid attempt to swim up the Kingston area creeks, but all the coldwater source streams with gravel beds have dams which has destroyed the stream spawn...

I would like to see the removal of a few dams that are no longer needed... Millhaven Creek for example...

One idea for the Kingston creeks is to fish the staging areas near the creek mouths... need a boat to do it well...
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

boat

Post by JZ »

Out4trout wrote:Yeah - the occasional Lake O salmonid attempt to swim up the Kingston area creeks, but all the coldwater source streams with gravel beds have dams which has destroyed the stream spawn...

I would like to see the removal of a few dams that are no longer needed... Millhaven Creek for example...

One idea for the Kingston creeks is to fish the staging areas near the creek mouths... need a boat to do it well...
OK thanks, yes a boat would be nice, nothing is more frustrating than seeing fish break beyond casting distance.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I know Eli does a bit of shore fishing around Kingston - perhaps he can chime in with his secret steelhead spots... :D (just kidding)
Check your PMs ...
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

no steelhead that i know of
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

No steelhead in kingston that I know of. The power plants along Bath rd. used to be good but very little flow in the last few years!
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

shelter valley creek in grafton is the last creek to the east that sees a respectable run of steelies. not sure how easy the access is for fishing the mouth without a boat though...
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

There is some good steelhead fishing around the Salmon River/Pulaski area of New York.

The Salmon river has several pools that can be fished from the bank. If you have waders...........SON!!!

Go to Whitakers: http://whitakers.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/index.htm they know...........they know :wink:

As I'm typing this I'm being watched over by a 15lb 12oz steelhead from the Willow Pool on Salmon River done by the late, great Jack Wilson.

DS