SPRING LAKERS?? SANDBANKS?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
KevinF
Participant
Participant

SPRING LAKERS?? SANDBANKS?

Post by KevinF »

Hey

Has anyone fished sandbanks in the spring as soon as ice is out for the lakers? Have heard there is some awesome fishing there just after ice out?? and big fish too? ?? Just wondering??

Kevin
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lakers

Post by CCLad »

It used be GREAT fishing, but that was many years ago. We used to go out of wellington harbor and flat line walleye diver's in 15 feet of water and catch 20 + a day (all released). As soon as the water cleared up (zebra muscle's) that was it for the laker's. You can still get some decent browns early in the year in the that area......
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

I own a campground on West Lake, adjacent to Sandbanks. Anyway, CCLad is spot on. Not a lot of lakers left in the area although the odd one is caught. Decent brown fishing along the banks in early April.

Scott
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

It's funny that this came up as I have been thinking about trying out there in the spring for anything that might bite. I think salmon and trout are all open out there come mid April and May and have thought a few times about trolling out there with planer boards and whatnot to see if anything could be caught. I'm interested if anyone else has any thoughts or has fished around there in April/May and what kind of success they have had.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

West Lake Willows (Scott) has a great deal of experience in this area. As he stated, there is good fishing for browns, and if lucky maybe a laker... I highly doubt you will get to tangle with a salmon as they tend to migrate around the lake and are pretty much concentrated along the south shore/west end of the lake. They (Salmon) arrive in this area any where from mid June to start of July with the middle of July being prime time. That said, I haven't been able to get out much in the past couple of seasons (Stupid Boat!!!)

I'm sure if you ask West Lake - Scott, for some tips he would be happy to pass on some info.

I miss it down there, I used to have a trailer on west lake as well - Just down 33 from your place Scott - "Willow Ridge". Now we are at Wellers Bay. We had to leave just as the Walleye fishing on West lake was coming back :(

Tim.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

fish for the browns.

they provide a much better fight than the lakers, get just as big, and are a better eating fish.

lots of them around down your way as well...more than the west end.

dont know any angler down this way that would fish for the lakers over the browns....at least when the browns are around. :D
KevinF
Participant
Participant

me too

Post by KevinF »

yeah me too been thinking of this for a while now, or should i say heard from a people that it is good spring fishing down there!! Also there was a fishing show, not sure which that did a program from sandbanks in the spring, and promoting that area as a good lake trout fishery....but i am open for going in April intsead thinking i am going to do it...so whats the best bait lures for browns??

Kevin
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Well Kevin, I think you and I are thinking alike. I jhave been stoked for a while at trying out by Wellington for whatever may be around in the spring, if it's browns, so be it. I have an article somewhere around here about fishing for them in the spring but, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember seeing something about trolling in the 15 - 30 FOW range with spoons and maybe even some long bomber's??? I'll double check and put up what I can find. Perhaps if someone else is reading this that has a bit more experience they can throw a tip or two our way.

Brian
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

maybe superdad will chime in, he's a great eastern end brown trout troller - as is RJ (gee, what a surprise eh).

i like to run in water less than 20', often less than 10'. inline boards and long lines. shallow running stick baits such as the J9, J11, and Jointed Cotton Cordell Walleye Diver in a Glowbie Colour (seriously, get that bait!).

use your light tackle and run light flouro leads, i run generally 10lbs.

look for changes in water temps, often being warmed by spring flow from rivers or warmed by the sun beating on the SAND (hint, hint).

have fun!
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Post by KevinF »

Hey

Well i am in, its worth a shot for me!! so lets make it April fishing, back in the softwater!!...Browns here we come!!

Kevin
troll
Participant
Participant

Post by troll »

used to go to smugglers cove but actually docked the boat at a public launch about 15 minutes down the road.trolled around the island about 2 minutes out.did very well with lakers in the 12lb range as well as browns an the odd rainbow.this was maybe 8-9yrs back.anyone been their lately?
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Post by KevinF »

Hi

Well whos in? lets make a day or weekend and find out??

Kevin
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Steve is bang on....(gee what a surprise...:lol:)

I troll with mini planers off of 12 pound line....smaller cranks and spoons in under 10 FOW.....keep a close eye on water colour and temps......it is the absolute key to fish or no fish.....warmer coloured water is best....

Best Baits for me last year were small Cleos and Small Rattlin Rogues....if you go with a slim spoon use a couple of split shot to get em to stay under the surface....

Troll speed was 1.3-1.5 mph....

Hope this helps....it should... :lol:

RJ
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

There is a launch right in wellington that is on the channel out into lake Ontario. There are two launches one right next to "the reel thing fishing pro shop" on the north side and one on the south side. The launch on the north side has no parking. The one on the south side has lots of parking. To access the one of the south side you have to drive about 200 yards further west on main street to "beach st" turn left on beach st and you will end up at the launch that has lots of parking. I think $5 to launch and park.

Any and all are welcome to launch at my place. www.westlakewillows.com I charge to launch and park in the summer, but April is early so launching and parking is free. I have gates at the front and there is always employees onsite so your stuff is safe. It is like a 5-8 min drive across West Lake to wellington. I would love to meet anyone coming down, and I might even be out there myself :lol: :lol:

Scott
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I think I'll be making a day or two of it. I've never tried for browns or anything like that so it would be quite the experience. I have a few friends who troll for lakers so I don't think it would be too hard to get them to come out for a day after browns....I'm thinking mid-April sometime...