Wolves on Ice: A Report w/ Pics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wolves on Ice: A Report w/ Pics

Post by wolfe »

The "pack" had an opportunity to make a quick trip Ottawa to enjoy some of the Winterlude activities. It's been a few years since we were up.

After a little coordinating with Gord and Marise from Bits and Baits, we also set a date for a few hours on the ice at Constance Lake in the super-equipped, super comfortable Bait Mobile.

We met up at Bits and Baits late Saturday afternoon, where we had the pleasure of meeting "Kingfisher" (Mickey) from Fish-Hawk, who works at the store. :P After getting our licenses for the year, we followed Slushy and Gord out to their set up on Constance.

Wallyboss was already there, and it was great to finally talk in person, as it seems we've had many good conversations by PM over the years.

Saskie and Saskette and the Amazing Wonder Dog, Chester were also there, and had been since earlier that day. A pleasure to see you again Dave and Kelly!

Chester recently underwent surgery to amputate a hind leg, but you wouldn't notice him slowing down. He helped keep Devil Loon occupied, and even shared his beloved squeaky chicken with him.

Gord and Slushy have set up down to a science, and it wasn't long before we were rigged up and fishing. Very impressive! Thanks so much for sharing your gear with us, guys.

Here are some of the fishy-themed pictures, so you can get an idea of what was being caught. :wink:

Bowzog

Wallyboss

Devil Loon (hmmm, do you think he's happy about his catch?) :wink:

The Torpedo... pulling a 24/7 pose and screwing up the camera's focus :roll:

Marise gets in on the Action -- and she did it without a flasher. 8)

Gord's "Big One" --- Slushy, whatever are you trying to say? 8)

Brian got a real nice one. At this point still none for Wolfe. :? Grrrr!

It was time to pack it in, and I still hadn't caught a blessed thing. I had been teased and tormented by some vaguely interested colorful flashes and blew an early hook up by FORGETTING TO SET THE HOOK before handing it off to Shane.....so I was batting a big fat "0", although everyone else had caught fish. I was dying! :lol: The place was being packed up around my ears, so I sent a quick prayer up: "Jesus, pulleeeeze let me catch one." :lol:

A minute later I finally had a fish commit and pulled this one up through the hole. I was happy (and relieved)! :oops:

Well, what a fun time it was -- good conversation and great laughs, as well...snacks, hot coffee...lessons on the flashers...just a real, good time.

(We even a brief appearance by Fatluke, who is anything but. Nice to meet ya. :wink: )

So a huge THANK YOU to Gord and Marise for their hospitality, and for sharing not only their trailer and equipment, but also their time and friendship. (Gord even shared a bit of his forehead skin with Tyler during a pike-got-away-flying-jighead-moment.) Who could ask for anything more? Except maybe for a little more time.

Dan, Dave & Kelly -- thanks so much for coming out to say HI and catch up a bit. We enjoyed spending a little time with everyone. Dan, best of luck with your new doctor....and we're pulling for Chester.

Next time, some soft water fishin' at the Wolfe Den, guys. :P

Wolfe.....and the Pack
Last edited by wolfe on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

It was a great time!!! :D :D
Finally we had success ice fishing!! :D
Thnks Bowzog & Slushpuppy!
TT
TY :mrgreen:
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

awsome report
mickey was telling me you guys were down here
hope you had a great time
the flashers are pretty neat eh 8)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Very nice ...

Congrats to all involved....

PS

WallyBoss wasn't trying to Sell the Wolfe Pack a Red 2hp Eskimo Barracuda Gas Auger...was he.... :P :P :P :P :P :P :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Another quality report from a quality family!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Im glad you had a good trip down to Ottawa Wolfe :) . Me Saturday I was out on the Ottawa for walleye in Wendover and I find some new walleyes holes :) . I cant wait for the Wendover Saturday.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Awesome report!! I was expecting something different from the thread title!!

Glad to see the wolf pack made it to Winterlude and onto the ice... and caught some nice crappie too!!
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

It was great to see you guys again - and to put another face to a name Walllyboss. Chester had a blast...so did we.

We managed to pull a few up over in Taylor field-east...

and this guy the following day:

PS - people with Timmys and doughnuts are ALWAYS welcome in our shack :D
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

WHAO almost got the good pose there buddy ! :)

its too COOL for the camera obviously :)
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Thought I had recognized the trailer! Gonefishin and myself hit constance a day before you guys. Got into a few schools of gills, crappies and perch as well with the odd pike. Saw the trailer and it seemed familiar. Didnt know your trailer was on constance!!

Looks like fun times were had by all
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Very nice! Looks like alot of fun, did u have the Olympics on the tv? :lol: Looks like a good place to have a cognac and a cigar! :lol:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I think I'm the only person who goes there fairly regularly and cannot find a single crappie..ever.

Cool report! :D
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

It sure was nice to finally meet Margie and the pack. Like you said it was like meeting an old friend for the first time. Great hospitality by Gord and Marise. Saskie and Saskette it was nice meeting you guys again for the first time. Finally met Chester.

I did fish a bit in my fish trap but the camaraderie in the trailer was much more interesting to me than catching a few crappies. Plus I didn't want to miss Wolfe's first fish of the day or was it LAST fish of the day. :D :D
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Looks like the entire crew had some success, and a good visit.

Wolfe it was nice to say "nice to meet you". I had a buddy (non-fisherman) in the truck with me, who I had just tortured for an hour in the wind "scouting", and he was about ready to pop up the portable and get the heater going. lol. I thought of that right after I pulled away, but as most people who have fished with me know.......I like to save the socializing for after the fishing..

Again great outing and lots of big smiles from the bait mobile.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Bass Addict wrote:
WallyBoss wasn't trying to Sell the Wolfe Pack a Red 2hp Eskimo Barracuda Gas Auger...was he.... :P :P :P :P :P :P :wink:
:lol:
Oh, is that what that was? I thought it was to open the wine bottles. 8) :wink:

W.