Eskimo, viper ice augers...any good??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Eskimo, viper ice augers...any good??

Post by muskymatt »

Was looking at one and it was 150$ cheeper than the Jiffy....any feedback or is Jiffy king.

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/st ... ategory=52

thanks folks

M.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

let say i woulsd spend the extra 150$ in an heart beat. :wink:

i did read a few review that were not that good.

but mabe they change in the last few months.

joco
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

if an eskimo breaks down... were do you get the parts?!?!

if a jiffy brakes down. parts here parts there. guys that know how to fix the jiffy here .... there...

ect...
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Eskimo, viper ice augers...any good??

Post by Bass Addict »

muskymatt wrote:or is Jiffy king.
M.

Jiffy is the King.. :wink:
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I have a Strikemaster and I am very happy with it.

JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I've had an eskimo for 3 years now, so far it's been great. The pull cord snapped on me last year, but that's not surprising given how much I use it. It starts pretty easily, cuts well, so far no problem, and as for parts, there's a phone number to call in the owner's manual and they get shipped within a week.

Yannick
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Matt think I saw the Jiffy's on sale in the the new Crappy tire flyer. :wink:
Have been using Fatluke's Jiffy and it kicks A.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Well I have both a Jiffy Legend Lightning 8" (49 cc Tecumseh engine) and the smallest Eskimo, the Eskimo Stingray 8" (33cc Viper). The Eskimos they usually sell at CT are the 33cc or 43cc units with Viper engines but the 43cc units are pretty heavy and maybe as heavy as my Jiffy but slower for sure.

The Jiffy has lots of get up and go and is awesome but I don't think I am going to sell my Eskimo Stingray because it is so light weight (>30lbs). I can still punch a hole in 2 feet of ice faster than you can pour a coffee so it's not that big of a deal.

As far as parts for an Eskimo, I ordered an auger cover (lost mine), broken gas cap (drove over it) and blades straight from the Ardisam distributor in Winnipeg.

If you're not concerned about the weight I would probably still pay the extra $100 and get the Jiffy because of the quality/finish of the auger and local availability of parts...they really are everywhere.

If you go the Eskimo route, check COSTCO as they sell the Eskimo 43cc-ish units every year for around $250 or check CT's Sub Zero (33cc Ardisam Engine - $299).

Happy Drilling.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Jiffy is hard to beat , but my next one will be a Strikemaster 4 stroke, they weigh about 18lbs. I've used a buddie's a few times and I am still amazed at the weight of it when I pick it up.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

I bought an eskimo viper from Costco twp years ago and I love it. I have never owned anything else though so I cant compare.
Splake_Hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Splake_Hunter »

I am a jiffy fan, but I haven't heard any bad things about the eskimo units. I see Canadian Tire is carrying them now too, them and all the Jiffy's are on sale this week.

Also, for anyone looking for a good deal on a decent auger in the Kingston area, the Division Street Canadian Tire has a 2hp Jiffy Stealth on clearance. It must last years or something, not sure. It's on for $299, $100 off.

Going splakin' tomorrow, if there is no post, I probably got skunked...... again :oops:

Let's hope I have something worthy to post.

Splake_Hunter
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

The Strikemaster 4 stroke is incredible but it is pricey.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

All brands have their pros and cons. Do some research and you'll find some good info. After a lot of research I bought a Strikemaster Lazer Mag and couldn't be happier.

Keep into consideration what kind of fishing you do. If you re-open holes every time its better to go with a chipper style blade than a lazer style. If you walk out to your spots then weight is definitely important. If not, the heavier and faster engines could be for you.

Its probably is a long-term purchase so take your time and don't be afraid to spend the extra $$ to get quality. I know strike master has an authorized service center right here in Ottawa so getting parts and repairs is a breeze.

Hope this helps
Oli
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Thanks for the info guys. Having been using a hand auger for the past 30yrs I finally decided I'm getting too old to do it by hand, my shoulders are ruined after working hard for 25+ yrs.

I am all too familiar with the small engines and can tear them down and rebuild them in my sleep. Part availablitiy is crucial though. I believe in buying quality but saving some cash would also be nice...
Thanks again
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Just a heads up Tecumseh is no longer Jiffy now uses a new brand of engines not much feedback yet!!! If you got some extra cash and want the best get a husqvarna 10" under 20lbs!!
http://www.husqvarna.ca/node1817.aspx?n ... &pid=64729