Truck info.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Truck info.

Post by High Noon »

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about buying a used truck (Toyota Tacoma) in the new year and I have a couple of questions as I have never owned a truck before.

1. Is there a way to find out if the truck was a commercial vehicle or one that was privately owned?
2. 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel drive? Costs, pros, cons for both.
3. Anything else that you can think of that might help a truck rookie.
4. This one is for the wife. How poorly does a 2 wheel drive truck handle the snow?

Thanks

High Noon
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Answer to #4 is this: It drives as good as the person who can control it. You need to make sure you know what to expect if it get's out on you. I would get something that is 4x4. It makes towing a trailer a bit easier too.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I would say 4x4 all the way. I've owned both a 4x2 and now a 4x4. I agree with the previous post that it depends alot on your ability in the snow, but the peace of mind of 4x4 is nice and you don't have to worry about loading the back of the truck with 100s of lbs of weight to gain traction. Taking off from a total stop in snow with 4x2 can be embarassing (like when the lights cycle all the way through while you slowly cross the intersection spinning like crazy on cheap Costco tires). Don't think that 4x4 makes you oblivious to the rules of winter driving, it doesn't help with cornering, but it does make taking off and making lane changes alot safer. There's no comparison really between 4x4 and 2x4 in the snow, it's just a matter of whether the extra safety and convenience is worth it to you.
Also, I would strongly recommend an extended cab if you're not already considering it. The extra room is very nice to keep things like tools, booster cables, dog, or even a passenger (get the crew cab for 2 passengers).
Get the Haynes manual for your vehicle too. Not that I would expect a Tacoma to break, but those books pay for themselves pretty quick. Other than thay, congrats on deciding to buy a pickup and on being able to afford a Tacoma.
Maybe checking a site like WreckCheck or Carfax would be a good idea. Good luck to you,
Yannick
jayg
Participant
Participant

Post by jayg »

4 x 4 is a must, unless you want to fill your box with sand bags, 2 wheel drive is honestly useless in snow or ice, and even dangerous for an in-experienced driver. The type of truck you want would probably not be used very often for commercial use since most contractors stick to the full size non imports. Cost is of course a little more, but well worth it.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Not sure about that, I had NEW:
Dodge Dakota - POS
Chevy Silverado - POS

Tacoma since 2006 - best truck I ever had - since I drove it out of the dealership I never had to visit any mechanic ZERO problems. ( basic maintenance done by me)
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

I've owned a lot of trucks through the years. My first two were 2WD and all since have been 4WD because they are so much more versatile and simply able to go in the snow, muck and sand. I also surf fish and 2WD would never work on the beach. As well 4WD can be a big plus on a ramp pulling out a boat. Having said that, one must also understand that 4WD doesn't make it any easier to stop in the snow and unfortunately some don't realize that. Some also think that they can go anywhere with 4WD and thus get themselves stuck going where no one should go. My wife's vehicle is 4WD and that gives me a bit of peace of mind in winter. Is CARFACTS available up there? If so, that would tell you about previous owners. Commercially owned isn't necessarily bad. Private and commercial owners can both abuse vehicles and some commercial outfits take better care of equipment than private owners. 4WD is a bit higher in fuel costs than 2WD but not terribly so. 4WD hold more resale value than 2WD. Don't know about that particular truck but Toyota builds a very reliable vehicle and has a good rep......better rep than our manufacturers! Also, I haven't purchased a new vehicle in years, I always buy one a year or so old, like new to me and much cheaper than new, heck a year old with 10K or 12K is just getting broken in and that first year depreciation has taken it's toll on someone other than you. Does she want a 4WD truck and if so, why? Or, are you buying a 4WD "for her" ? :wink:
Mike
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

Excellent info. so far guys. I am leaning towards 4X4. Definitely used. Definitely 4 doors. Keep it coming. Any opinions on the tonneau covers vs a cab?

High Noon
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

High Noon wrote:Excellent info. so far guys. I am leaning towards 4X4. Definitely used. Definitely 4 doors. Keep it coming. Any opinions on the tonneau covers vs a cab?

High Noon
Yeah, missed the four door part of your question. My current truck has four doors, first time that I've owned one and it's great. Just make sure that you have leg room in the back if a four/five passenger truck is what you want. Otherwise those two extra doors just give you access to a large storage area. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 ST with plenty of room to carry adults in the back. Funny thing was, I was headed to a GMC dealer when I bought this one. Driving along I saw it, worked a good deal, had no intentions of buying a Dodge but I'm glad I did. Knock on wood, three years and not a single problem, it was one year old at the time of purchase. Tonneau and cap both have advantages and disadvantages, depends on what you mostly want to do. I have a tonneau and like it. I can place things in the bed out of the weather and out of sight, of course not secure. A cap is somewhat secure but as the saying goes, you're only keeping an honest man, honest, because that lock on a cap isn't going to stop a determined thief. I like the tonneau because I can easily remove it to haul mulch, topsoil, wood etc. A cap is a bit more difficult to remove. Also, if you're towing something and have a cap, make sure you can back up a trailer using mirrors, without looking out the back window because a cap may make it difficult to do so and see the trailer. I've had both, right now I like the tonneau..........but that could change. Of course you can carry much more cargo protected from the elements under a cap. You can also throw a pad and a sleeping bag under a cap, you can do that with a tonneau but it might be a bit like a coffin. My tonneau attaches with an edge that fits in a groove, right now I can't think what it's called. Works quite nice, snaps and grommets can be a PIA.
Mike
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

About the cover, at highway speed, and even less than that, precipitation doesn't go at all in the box. The only time your stuff would get wet is at a stop. Also, Mythbusters did an episode about fuel consumption with various options on the box (cab, tonneau, mesh, no tailgate). Personally, I don't have a use for a box or tonneau. My stuff hardly ever gets wet, access is easier, and I'm able to put a quad/sled/boat in the back. Unless something is extremely light, it won't fly out, and even then, if you keep it closest to the cabin, it'll be out of any wind circulation.
However, if you chose a tonneau cover, I would strongly suggest something solid!! I had a velcro leather one on my former truck and it was a POS, lasted a couple months before the adhesive on the velcro started coming off, and i the winter the cover would shrink and not be wide enough to reach the velcro strips.
So to summarize, think about whether or not you really need a cover, and #2 I would suggest a hard plastic tonneau cover.
Yannick
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

1. Is there a way to find out if the truck was a commercial vehicle or one that was privately owned?

JP maybe able to chime in on this

2. 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel drive? Costs, pros, cons for both.

Pros - maintaining 4X4 is minimal cost
- improves re sale ability later with 4X4
- improved handling / traction in snow with 4X4
- never get stuck in a boat launch with 4X4
Cons - less resale value with 2X4

3. Anything else that you can think of that might help a truck rookie.

Try to find one with a transmission cooler if pulling trailers or heavy loads
Measure your drive way, will truck and trailer fit
If you go with 4X4, watch you don't get too cocky in the slippy winter conditions. You have better traction and control pulling away from traffic lights etc, but your brakes do the same job as a 2X4

4. This one is for the wife. How poorly does a 2 wheel drive truck handle the snow?

VERY POORLY, your wife will hate 2 wheel drive in the snow, even with weight in the back for traction.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

[quote 1. Is there a way to find out if the truck was a commercial vehicle or one that was privately owned?quote]

If there's one that interests you, take the VIN # of the vehicle to the license bureau and get a report printed for $20. This will tell you who the previous owners were. I think you might be able to get one from those kiosks found at some shopping malls.
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

As far as fuel mileage and covers go, here's my experience....

Last Feb. I bought a 2005 Ram 1500 4X4 5.7L hemi V8 from a dodge dealer. Looked at the trip computer in the overhead console and noted the fuel mileage 12.1 mpg. Now I can't say how the previous owner drove the vehicle but it doesn't seem he was too light on the pedal IMO
Had a fiberglass cover installed on the bed the first weekend I owned the truck. The mileage has now climbed to 15.6 mpg! so thats a 3.5mpg increase. I regularly get 600km+ per tank.

Having owned a 2X4 v6 dakota previously I'd stay away from any 2wd models. (I've been stuck on wet grass before in that truck LOL) Also The difference in fuel mileage between the the 4 cly and v6 models of the Tacoma and next to nothing so go with the V6 . Towing anything you want a v6 at bare minimum but a v8 would be preferable.

London to Napanee, towing my small boat with my v6 dakota = Full tank of gas (60L), Same route with my V8 Ram I use just a bit more than half a tank (45L)
The V8 doesn't have to work nearly as hard to pull the same load as the V6 and uses less gas, Not sure of the #'s but it would also apply to the 4cly vs the v6 as well

hope some of this helps!

jjcanoe
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

jjcanoe wrote:As far as fuel mileage and covers go, here's my experience....

Last Feb. I bought a 2005 Ram 1500 4X4 5.7L hemi V8 from a dodge dealer. Looked at the trip computer in the overhead console and noted the fuel mileage 12.1 mpg. Now I can't say how the previous owner drove the vehicle but it doesn't seem he was too light on the pedal IMO
Had a fiberglass cover installed on the bed the first weekend I owned the truck. The mileage has now climbed to 15.6 mpg! so thats a 3.5mpg increase. I regularly get 600km+ per tank.

Having owned a 2X4 v6 dakota previously I'd stay away from any 2wd models. (I've been stuck on wet grass before in that truck LOL) Also The difference in fuel mileage between the the 4 cly and v6 models of the Tacoma and next to nothing so go with the V6 . Towing anything you want a v6 at bare minimum but a v8 would be preferable.

London to Napanee, towing my small boat with my v6 dakota = Full tank of gas (60L), Same route with my V8 Ram I use just a bit more than half a tank (45L)
The V8 doesn't have to work nearly as hard to pull the same load as the V6 and uses less gas, Not sure of the #'s but it would also apply to the 4cly vs the v6 as well

hope some of this helps!

jjcanoe
JJ
I have the same truck but an '04 and the small V8, 4.7 My fuel economy is identical except when I mounted a more aggressive tire for driving in sand on the beach it dropped to 14.3 I want my old tires back....especially last year when fuel went through the roof. I wouldn't have thought that tires could make that big of an impact...10% Anyway, my fuel economy is the same with or without my tonneau and drops a bit when towing my boat but not significantly so on a long highway trip
Mike
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I would seriously think of looking at a NA truck.

Toyota just hit the bottom of the list after today's recall because their frames rusted so bad. And much worse is their car recall for sticking gas pedals. 2 large X on the same day.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i got an 2008 dodge hemi..i love it.

idid not madea a load off mielage i got 22k on it.

i do bet 425 to 550k on tank 90l.

and the price on those are not bad at all.

you can get a 2010 for around 29000$ a truck that was like 42 2 y ago.

all truck are good...some better.

joco